Low sugar at night

lowley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,i was diagnosed with diabetes 15 november 2015. And im 17 years old. 2 weeks ago i got dexcom G4 (blodsugar meter that sticks to your stomach or back) and the past week i've had low sugar around 3.7 at night. Today i woke up 3 times this night one at 00.10, 02.25 and one at 5. From the start i took 7 units of Levemir then i changed to 6 units and it was still the same. I called my diabetes doctor and i talked to her she asked me some questions. She told me to try 5 units and i did still was the same went low 2 times. Yesterday i took 4.5 units and to me that seems "to little" even tho i woke up 3 times this night cause of low sugar. Anyone that know what the problem may be?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do get back in touch with your diabetes team again, but if your still going low then you need to reduce your basal dose further but do watch that you don't lower it too much and go high throughout the day, as your newly diagnosed your likely still in your Honeymoon Period (Google for more info) which explains your decreasing insulin needs.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Even on your low amounts, it is worth asking your team about splitting the Levemir dose into two (as per the current NICE guidance) as this can help to reduce overnight hypos.