Low sugar chocolate

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
I saw it too, but guess it will still be to much, I buy Lindt 99% cacao Its chocolate, its brown, it takes some getting used to but then it is still YEUK! I want real but can't have it

Reactions: KezG

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not before time, Kit Kats are extremely sweet.

I buy Lindt 99% cacao Its chocolate, its brown, it takes some getting used to but then it is still YEUK!

If you have a local Lidl store nip in and purchase the JD Gross 70% Caramel chocolate, it's delicious and works out at around 5g of carbs per square (the squares are quite large compared to regular choc) :)

Reactions: Terryrhino

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
Not before time, Kit Kats are extremely sweet.

If you have a local Lidl store nip in and purchase the JD Gross 70% Caramel chocolate, it's delicious and works out at around 5g of carbs per square (the squares are quite large compared to regular choc) :)
Made a note of the name of that chocolate will check out my local Lidl saturday, I keep some mini Mars in the event of a hypo I have to put my hands up and confess I sometimes pretend to myself I feel a hypo coming on so I can have one,

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I saw the Lindt 99% so bought a couple of bars several months ago. They are still in the cupboard almost intact! They really must be an acquired taste. I took one bite and as you say thought yuk, then tried melting a little to make a chocolate mousse but even that was too strong a taste. Did mean to have another go with less quantity of chocolate to see if that was any better but have forgotten all about it. Might have another bash later today now that I've been reminded though.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw it too, but guess it will still be to much, I buy Lindt 99% cacao Its chocolate, its brown, it takes some getting used to but then it is still YEUK! I want real but can't have it
There was a bit of a fuss some years ago about chocolate sold in the UK. The EU thought that it was not real chocolate and the high cocoa stuff sold in places like Belgium was the only real stuff. Then I heard a Canadian refer to UK chocolate as 'chocolate candy' which probably sums up what other people think of it.

Seen like that it is a candy (sweet) with chocolate flavouring.

S

Shar67

I buy Aldi dark chocolate.
I keep a big jar of mixed nuts, when it is getting near the bottom, i take all the wee bits, melt the chocolate, stir in nut crumbs, i put a dollop in mini cupcake cases, put in fridge. It makes the chocolate lovely

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect for us diabetics it may well depend more on how our bodies will process this chemically changed sugar rather than the fact that it's supposed to fool our taste buds?

I compromise with Lindt 85% dark chocolate - 19g carbs per 100g weight, so just under 2g carbs a piece, and can fit a couple of squares into my uder 50g a days carbs limit. I can manage this amount but need to watch dark chocolate in general as it used to be a sure fire migraine trigger for me in pre-LCHF days...

I've also occasionally made my own sweeter "chocolate" with cocoa powder, coconut oil and erythritol/stevia to taste. Melted, mixed and poured into a little chocolate bars mould to set.

Robbity

PS Not only is dark choccie is good for us in general, but researchers have apparently found that it can help reduce insulin resistance. :p

redthecrow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Instead of Kit Kats I buy Gullon sugar free wafers both the chocolate ones and the vanilla i have managed to get at various £1 shop outlets. And they taste great also there is a range of Sugar Free biscuits ie digestive ,Marias, ans short cake choc chip

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I buy Chocologic dark in Tesco. It's 2g carb for 3 squares, not wonderful but when I'm seriously wanting a choccy fix, fills the gap.

Reactions: dbr10