low sugar level

nannyani1

hiya can somebody please help me. Iam a newbie and diagnosed t1 about 7 weeks ago, my levels have been very high (in the 20s and above) and now im finaly getting them down to a more normal amount. Anyway i did have a hypo a couple of weeks ago while out shopping so i know what they feel like. Anyway so today i went for a nap because i was shattered after a bad nite, and i woke up suddenlly and with the shakes, it felt like the start of a hypo so i went to check my levels. I had a reading of 4.1 and just couldnt stop shaking. So is it pissible to have a hypo with that kind of reading or was i just heading that way? Im sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. Ani

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, absolutely. I get the feeling of being hypo when I'm in the low 4s. It's good that you do, because it means that you can sort it out before things go downhill. Whilst less than 4 is considered a hypo, you don't want to be hanging around in the 4s because a slight deviation can result in a hypo. I personally aim for the 5s and 6s.

simking

I wish I had your awareness (in the 4s), I often find that my level is approx 2.4 before I am aware that I'm havin a hypo, and usually people around me are aware of my hypo before I am (which is really annoyin). My diabetic nurse has asked me to allow my levels to run slightly higher eg 8 or 9 (which feels odd wen usually I'm tryin to maintain lower/normal levels). The fact that you have hypo awareness in the 4s is definately a lot safer and allows you to treat the hypo before it gets any lower. Hope that's helpful/reassuring.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having to take so many medications, having little energy.
My best friend living so far away in scotland.
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
I wish I had you
r awareness (in the 4s), I often find that my level is approx 2.4 before I am aware that I'm havin a hypo, and usually people around me are aware of my hypo before I am (which is really annoyin). My diabetic nurse has asked me to allow my levels to run slightly higher eg 8 or 9 (which feels odd wen usually I'm tryin to maintain lower/normal levels). The fact that you have hypo awareness in the 4s is definately a lot safer and allows you to treat the hypo before it gets any lower. Hope that's helpful/reassuring.

It is handy that i can tell when im going into a hypo but still quite frightening to be honest. Im also getting more worried about going out very far. Im sure we will both get used to the signs soon. Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App