Lower BG After Meal

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this normal? My bg reading was 5.3 before a meal and 5.1 after a meal (2 hrs) - I always assumed that it would be higher after eating.

A

asparagusp

Any carbohydrates in the meal? I had something similar happen last week. 4.6 before breakfast and 4.1 x 2 two hours after. Breakfast contained 14 g of carbohydrates!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this normal? My bg reading was 5.3 before a meal and 5.1 after a meal (2 hrs) - I always assumed that it would be higher after eating.

You've done realy well. What ever you ate. & considering your diet controlled only? Nice... :cool:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 eggs on 1 slice of toast (toast 3g carbs)

You may have underestimated the carbs in the toast.. But still great going with what is essentially a "flat level"..
But you are correct in your initial post in assuming it's safe to peak in the "mid 7s"?
If your not in the time zone already? Find out what's happening 4 hours later??

Though it's only fair to let the dieters take over from here. I am on "da meds".. ;)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm often lower 2 hours after a meal now. Sometimes I get stressed with cooking so a bit higher before the meal and then comes down. I do try to have a walk after evening meal (my main meal) and that does seem to bring my readings down.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you toasting that has only 3g carbs per slice?
My toast is a bread called Livlife, it says on the nutritional information carbs are 3.8g per slice, sugars 0.8g and protein 6.7g, got it in waitrose and thought I would try it.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have underestimated the carbs in the toast.. But still great going with what is essentially a "flat level"..
But you are correct in your initial post in assuming it's safe to peak in the "mid 7s"?
If your not in the time zone already? Find out what's happening 4 hours later??

Though it's only fair to let the dieters take over from here. I am on "da meds".. ;)
Yes, I meant to say the carbs were actually 3.8g per slice, now looking back at the packet, its a bread called livlife from waitrose - its a bit rubbery. I'm learning a lot, thank you.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, I meant to say the carbs were actually 3.8g per slice, now looking back at the packet, its a bread called livlife from waitrose - its a bit rubbery. I'm learning a lot, thank you.
Burgen bread is good for me but just rembered I need some protein rolls.

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
Hello, well how much carbohydrate you ate would be relevant, but this reading implies that your indigenous insulin release is responding well to food, ( I am presuming that you're not on medication ) However, if you check your blood sugar around the one hour mark after eating you'll get an idea how well controlled it is. If it's somewhere between 6mmol and say 8mmol that's not bad. You could always check it at about four or five hours after eating, if it's between7mmol and 4.5 that is again not bad, but a reading below 3.9mmol implies too much Insulin is released.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, well how much carbohydrate you ate would be relevant, but this reading implies that your indigenous insulin release is responding well to food, ( I am presuming that you're not on medication ) However, if you check your blood sugar around the one hour mark after eating you'll get an idea how well controlled it is. If it's somewhere between 6mmol and say 8mmol that's not bad. You could always check it at about four or five hours after eating, if it's between7mmol and 4.5 that is again not bad, but a reading below 3.9mmol implies too much Insulin is released.
Thank you Blip 22, my readings are always higher after 4/5 hours later, and high after night fasting, they fall after eating, I am a bit strange, and never been over 7 after eating.

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
Thank you Blip 22, my readings are always higher after 4/5 hours later, and high after night fasting, they fall after eating, I am a bit strange, and never been over 7 after eating.
Well that's really good news! I guess if you stick with a low carb diet you may even be able to reverse your diabetes. :)

Reactions: Kittylitter