Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi guys,

What sort of tips, would you give someone to lower there blood sugars.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a T2 and what I use

Cut carbs dramatically (as few as humanly possible)

Don't eat so often (intermittent fasting is pretty useful and over time extended fasting can be too)

Go for a walk after eating (not that its something I do often but others have reported its effectiveness)

Eat fresh prepared home cooked food instead of anything processed or from a packet.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If they're already high, not much you can do but try to prevent the high blood sugar next time, unless you're on insulin. Drinking and exercise may be of some help.
How high are we talking?

If you mean lower average blood sugar, many on here have great results on a lower carb diet, with or without the help of medication.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Cheers guys,

My blood sugars are really good.

It is just one of friends has just been told they are type 2.

So I told them what I did, but also wanted to see if, there was anything else I could recommend to them. As It is not a one size fits approach that seems to work.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean not a one size approach that seems to work?

I regularly say that we are all different but what I do believe is that cutting carbs will lower a type 2s blood sugar readings. Some can tolerate much more than others but reducing them will bring down the levels.

Some may find a low carb lifestyle difficult-I'm one of those but the possible complications (blindness loss of a limb etc ) would be a lot worse.

Really if you want to go to basics- get a meter and test. Test after a meal with fewer carbs and see what happens. Remember that it will take a little while for overall levels to drop.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting carbs! Since it's carbs that T2s (in general) can no longer easily tolerate, IMO the obvious solution is to cut right down on their consumption. However since certain health issues or medications, e.g. statins, or (cortico) sterioids, can also impact badly on glucose levels other intervention may sometimes be required.

M

Member496333

High fat carnivore and 23h daily fasting is the gold standard for me. Yesterday ranged from 3.8-4.2mmol/L

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
What do you mean not a one size approach that seems to work?

I regularly say that we are all different but what I do believe is that cutting carbs will lower a type 2s blood sugar readings. Some can tolerate much more than others but reducing them will bring down the levels.

Some may find a low carb lifestyle difficult-I'm one of those but the possible complications (blindness loss of a limb etc ) would be a lot worse.

Really if you want to go to basics- get a meter and test. Test after a meal with fewer carbs and see what happens. Remember that it will take a little while for overall levels to drop.

Well just by reading other posts in this forum, I have seen people low carb has worked for them as the get headaches and fill like **** without them.

Low carb worked for me with exercise, and I cant complain my blood sugar are in good control.

But I dont intermittent fasting but that seems to work for a lot of people.

So I am just trying to see what other plans of attack, that works for people. So my pal can get a full plan that is sustainable for them.

low carb does work but if cant sustain it then what the point.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I am just trying to see what other plans of attack, that works for people. So my pal can get a full plan that is sustainable for them.
Have you verified your pal actually wants you to tell him how to handle his diabetes? If the advice is unasked for, it's usually not well received...
If he wants to learn more, why not let him know where he can find this forum so he can learn from all of us, instead of us telling you what we think and you relaying it to him?