Lower figures with less meds.....

DaveXF

I found that 2 x 500mg Met in the morning and the same at night all but destroyed my working life during the morning and my family life in the evening.
I then decided to spread the load over 12 hrs, meaning that I got my work life back....but not the evenings.
My post prandials ( with low carbing) were dropping into the mid 6's and 7's. But my morning bloods were 8' and 9's.
Last week I decided to forgo the latter 2 dosages, relying on the pre noon meds.
To date, no upset stomachs( I'm using extended release met) with my morning levels are now 6's and 7's... not perfect, I know... though my night time levels - according to my libre- are around 5.
Could the evening stomach events throw my system out, meaning that I wasn't getting any benefit?
Has my pancreas started to recover, as my liver dumping is reduced?
Could my nigh on 1/2 stone weight loss over the past 3 weeks ( no real exercise as such) made such a difference.
Or...has my occasional use of Amitryptiline ( forgive the potential mis spelling) chilled me out, so that I'm not as stressed?
(I'm struggling a little with aching ankles and fizzing feet)

Comments and/or advice is always welcome.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think that the fact that you have lowered your carbohydrate intake is what may be improving your levels as Metformin (whether slow release or not) does not have a huge affect on bg but it does seem to aid insulin resistance and curb excessive liver dumps.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, @DaveXF , it could be any of those things.

My suggestion would be that you keep a close eye on things and watch for any new, unsettling trends.

DaveXF

I think that the fact that you have lowered your carbohydrate intake is what may be improving your levels as Metformin (whether slow release or not) does not have a huge affect on bg but it does seem to aid insulin resistance and curb excessive liver dumps.
That's a fair assumption, except that my carbs have consistently been below 10/20g per day ( now nearer 5g) since I came back on metformin ( to my shame, I would low carb and then cane them...hence why I'm back on the meds. I used to think nothing of destroying a family sized tiramisu in a matter of <2 mins...and I mean that. Christ only knows why I would do that.)
I'm currently plotting a few curves and, as you suggest the liver dumps have improved..if I start low in a morning that trend does tend to remain.

DaveXF

To be honest, @DaveXF , it could be any of those things.

My suggestion would be that you keep a close eye on things and watch for any new, unsettling trends.

The best thing about a libre, as many will concur, is that you can monitor yourself to your hearts content.
Preprandial was five.seven...the iPad has gone weird...a beer and chicken thighs later in was four.nine
Currently sat at four.eight

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's a fair assumption, except that my carbs have consistently been below 10/20g per day ( now nearer 5g) since I came back on metformin ( to my shame, I would low carb and then cane them...hence why I'm back on the meds. I used to think nothing of destroying a family sized tiramisu in a matter of <2 mins...and I mean that. Christ only knows why I would do that.)
I'm currently plotting a few curves and, as you suggest the liver dumps have improved..if I start low in a morning that trend does tend to remain.

What is important here is your quality of life. No use taking a medicine that might be having a beneficial affect if that medicine makes life miserable. There are people who simply cannot tolerate Met so they must make a risk/benefit decision.

DaveXF

What is important here is your quality of life. No use taking a medicine that might be having a beneficial affect if that medicine makes life miserable. There are people who simply cannot tolerate Met so they must make a risk/benefit decision.
That, my new friend, is the important bit.
My former GP, now retired, once told me that she doesn't prescribe meds to make people feel worse.
I miss the naughty stuff terribly ( the kichen and outdoor pub/ bar are stuffed with it) but I'd miss my ability to walk for miles, my family etc far more.
That sounds terribly melodramatic but it's taken years for it to dawn on me just how ****** serious this condition is.
I just need to try and fix the fizzing feet and I'll be content.

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That, my new friend, is the important bit.
My former GP, now retired, once told me that she doesn't prescribe meds to make people feel worse.
I miss the naughty stuff terribly ( the kichen and outdoor pub/ bar are stuffed with it) but I'd miss my ability to walk for miles, my family etc far more.
That sounds terribly melodramatic but it's taken years for it to dawn on me just how bloody serious this condition is.
I just need to try and fix the fizzing feet and I'll be content.

For the fizzy feet (love that description) I prescribe low carb and a little time. (ahem.. just remember I'm no physician!).

If the fizzing doesn't go away then you could try r-ALA or see your GP.

DaveXF

For the fizzy feet (love that description) I prescribe low carb and a little time. (ahem.. just remember I'm no physician!).

If the fizzing doesn't go away then you could try r-ALA or see your GP.

It just seems to fit exactly what I get.
The Dr said it wasn't neuropathy...but didn't tell me what it was.
I have ALA...which isn't the proper stuff, I've since found out.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It just seems to fit exactly what I get.
The Dr said it wasn't neuropathy...but didn't tell me what it was.
I have ALA...which isn't the proper stuff, I've since found out.

Coincidently, I was on Amitriptyline for over a decade, it did not do anything to stop the symptom of freezing cold feet I had before diagnosis. Once I had improved my bg levels the cold subsided and I decided to discontinue the Trip. It took two attempts but I did it. Trip is a very mild drug in terms of pain relief.

DaveXF

Coincidently, I was on Amitriptyline for over a decade, it did not do anything to stop the symptom of freezing cold feet I had before diagnosis. Once I had improved my bg levels the cold subsided and I decided to discontinue the Trip. It took two attempts but I did it. Trip is a very mild drug in terms of pain relief.

....but it's great for a decent night's sleep :)

I was prescribed it when I had my C5/6 neck op... never touched it.
So glad I kept them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
....but it's great for a decent night's sleep :)

I was prescribed it when I had my C5/6 neck op... never touched it.
So glad I kept them.

Aye, it does aid sleep which is why it took two attempts to quit. Awful insomnia for weeks and weeks. I was originally prescribed it for sleep disturbance but insomnia wasn't something I suffered with until I tried to kick the addiction to them. They never told me that some people can become addicted to Trip.

DaveXF

Aye, it does aid sleep which is why it took two attempts to quit. Awful insomnia for weeks and weeks. I was originally prescribed it for sleep disturbance but insomnia wasn't something I suffered with until I tried to kick the addiction to them. They never told me that some people can become addicted to Trip.

It's not a case of addiction, I suppose, just a reliance on it...
However, it does say that a managed withdrawal may be needed.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="DaveXF, post: 1924704, member: 49268. I used to think nothing of destroying a family sized tiramisu in a matter of <2 mins...and I mean that. Christ only knows why I would do that.)
.[/QUOTE]

Re the Tiramisu, have you considered sugar addiction as the cause? It’s a powerful thing and I think very common. In retrospect I find my (former) diet was so soaked in sugar I feel sure I had it. I used to work away from home and eat whatever was closest to the door in Convenience stores. There are some films about sugar addiction on dietdoctor.com

Reactions: DaveXF

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's not a case of addiction, I suppose, just a reliance on it...
However, it does say that a managed withdrawal may be needed.

At a dose of three a day for over a decade, beleive me, I was addicted.

DaveXF

[QUOTE="DaveXF, post: 1924704, member: 49268. I used to think nothing of destroying a family sized tiramisu in a matter of <2 mins...and I mean that. Christ only knows why I would do that.)

Re the Tiramisu, have you considered sugar addiction as the cause? It’s a powerful thing and I think very common. In retrospect I find my (former) diet was so soaked in sugar I feel sure I had it. I used to work away from home and eat whatever was closest to the door in Convenience stores. There are some films about sugar addiction on dietdoctor.com[/QUOTE]

It was definitely a sugar addiction...
Christ...3 packs of Jaffa cakes in one do was the norm,sheer gluttony.
Usually after a rough meeting or telecon.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
QUOTE="DaveXF, post: 1925016, member: 492680"]Christ...yep. Apologies.[/QUOTE]

I'm alright now... just havin'... trou..ble getting rid... of the twitch...;)

DaveXF

Bloods still very normal, even the work numbers ( previouslyin the 9's and 10's) are typically in the 6's.
Preprandial at dinner 5.4... post 5.1.. 3 hrs "random" 5.4.
Dinner was a lump of gammon, two fried eggs and 2 baked tomatos.
Low carb? Yep...but very very filling.
Absolutely no problems with the feet, save a moderately aching ankle BUT it's not a train crash.