Lower Than I Expected Drop In Hba1c From Last Test

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I thought if I dropped my carbs right down well below 120gms most days and only a very few slip ups in the past four months my latest test results would be really good but they are not, only 57 mmol down from 64 mmollies. I have lost just over a stone so it's all good news but not good enough lol.
So my question is ...is this normal
Thanks

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Primrosefairydust You have done well to drop your HbA1c and to lose just over a stone be happy:joyful: What is your goal? What medication are you on? What sort of food are you eating within the carb count? Have you a lot of weight to lose? Do you test your blood glucose daily? Sorry for all the questions but it will give us a better overall picture. Please only answer what you are comfortable with.:) 120g carbs is still quite high if you are looking at losing more weight. Have you thought about Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating? Hope this helps.:happy:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think any drop is positive. So keep at it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think to guarantee the best and fastest results you'll need to drop your carbs further down to ketogenic levels (fewer than 20g per day).
If you don't want to do that then carry on what you are doing and see your HbA1c descend more gracefully.
I would imagine that your HCP's were still completely amazed that you had achieved a drop at all?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I thought if I dropped my carbs right down well below 120gms most days and only a very few slip ups in the past four months my latest test results would be really good but they are not, only 57 mmol down from 64 mmollies. I have lost just over a stone so it's all good news but not good enough lol.
So my question is ...is this normal
Thanks
I was in a similar position recently, my HbA1c having dropped to 57 from mid-60s after three to four months of what I thought was dedicated hard work. Disappointing, I thought, but that was still the best result I'd ever had. The progress you have made should not be diminished. I would agree with @bulkbiker , though, if you want to see faster results, LCHF or keto is the only realistic option. Not for everyone, though!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Down is always better than up :) (except of course when up is better than down, or when staying the same is best:banghead:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You are going in the right direction both with your weight and your A1c. Well done on acheiving the best result so far and keep up the good work.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Primrosefairydust You have done well to drop your HbA1c and to lose just over a stone be happy:joyful: What is your goal? What medication are you on? What sort of food are you eating within the carb count? Have you a lot of weight to lose? Do you test your blood glucose daily? Sorry for all the questions but it will give us a better overall picture. Please only answer what you are comfortable with.:) 120g carbs is still quite high if you are looking at losing more weight. Have you thought about Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating? Hope this helps.:happy:
To answer your questions
My goal is to stop all the metformin
I'm on 4 x 500mg metformin tablets 2 am and 2 pm
Food I'm eating lots of fresh veg no potatoes or other starchy veg the very occasional sweet potato,
Fruit, mainly berries as part of a meal one portion a day but not every day.
Lean meat, yoghurt, cheese,
My GP said as I have high blood pressure (its under control with drugs) I can't have a high fat diet so I'm keeping the fats lower and healthy
I have loads of weight to loose
I don't test as my GP doesn't support this for T2

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To answer your questions
My goal is to stop all the metformin
I'm on 4 x 500mg metformin tablets 2 am and 2 pm
Food I'm eating lots of fresh veg no potatoes or other starchy veg the very occasional sweet potato,
Fruit, mainly berries as part of a meal one portion a day but not every day.
Lean meat, yoghurt, cheese,
My GP said as I have high blood pressure (its under control with drugs) I can't have a high fat diet so I'm keeping the fats lower and healthy
I have loads of weight to loose
I don't test as my GP doesn't support this for T2
Thanks for that @Primrosefairydust A lot of dr's don't support type 2 with a meter. I would advise getting a Blood glucose meter and test your bloods that will give you an indication what is spiking you. Ive got the Codefree one of e-bay and the strips are a reasonable price. I was on 2 lots of blood pressure tablets but I went Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) Reversed my diabetes, Off all diabetes meds, lost loads of weight and now one one lot of BP tablets but will be testing this week to see if I can come off them. My Dr and Dn wasn't that happy about me doing LCHF but they are amazed at the results.:) Have a look at dietdoctor and Dr Jason Fung for more info on LCHF. At the end of the day its your call so good luck whatever you choose.;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't..I have never heard dietary fat being linked to high blood pressure but I would imagine that as your weight comes down your BP will too . Mine certainly did. Fat is the ingredient that provides satiety so we feel less hungry and can eat less often so if you are limiting fat then you may well be hampering your progress.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Primrosefairydust, Pedant here. In your first post you talked about 4 monthly tests results being 57 mmols down from 64 mmollies. I asume you are referring to HBA1C readings as these are usually 3 to 4 months apart. and usually expressed as figures only, like HAB1C was 57 and 64.
When we are referring to finger prick blood test results they are usually (in UK, Canada, Australia) referred to as say 4.8 mmol/l etc. A blood sugar reading or 57 or 64 mmol/l might be approaching a fatal result !!
Just glad you are OK !!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Primrosefairydust, Pedant here. In your first post you talked about 4 monthly tests results being 57 mmols down from 64 mmollies. I asume you are referring to HBA1C readings as these are usually 3 to 4 months apart. and usually expressed as figures only, like HAB1C was 57 and 64.
When we are referring to finger prick blood test results they are usually (in UK, Canada, Australia) referred to as say 4.8 mmol/l etc. A blood sugar reading or 57 or 64 mmol/l might be approaching a fatal result !!
Just glad you are OK !!
Aren’t HbA1c presented in mmol/mol?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Aren’t HbA1c presented in mmol/mol?
'Tis less confusing to say Hba1c of X,. and use mmol/l, mg/dl to help identify bsls.
I admit that the figures are disparate.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
'Tis less confusing to say Hba1c of X,. and use mmol/l, mg/dl to help identify bsls.
I admit that the figures are disparate.
It’s definitely confusing, if you’re not used to handling scientific data, that’s for sure! I was just being super-pedantic :couchpotato:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Each to her/his own level of pendantry !!

D

Deleted member 308541

Each to her/his own level of pendantry !!
I still use the percent value as I have always been given my hba1c this way by the pathology shop, like this example of my latest test in June - hba1c = 5.3% / 34 mmol/mol.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I still use the percent value as I have always been given my hba1c this way by the pathology shop, like this example of my latest test in June - hba1c = 5.3% / 34 mmol/mol.
I think the reason for changing to the newer system was to avoid confusion with figures. A HBA1C of 5.7 (often said without adding %) can easily be misinterpreted as applying to BSL. A BSL of 34 mmol/l is possible (but not ti be dsired)! but is also less open to misinterpretation.

D

Deleted member 308541

Sir @Tipetoo, please explain for the less literate, like muggins here .
I had the pleasure of reading some applicants cv / resume's the other day, some were a wall of test.

No paragraphs, or simple punctuation like a comma , or a full stop or period . I am not the brightest spark in the fire but I learnt that in second year at skool. I do know that you do not put %4 or 4$ instead of 4% or $4.

Most of the resume's were filed in the rubbish bin, two young people were taken on as casuals for a months trial. One of those will be going on Friday.

Just a 73 year being pedantic.