Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
It's now down to 4.6%, from 6.4% two months ago.

I've also lost two and a half stone, and plan to lose another one to get my BMI down to 25 from 33.

It all started when I was referred by my doctor to a dietician, and a physio, who booked me an 8 week session at a local nhs gym.

Dietician was excellent, and suggested little changes to start me off, cutting down on calories, less carbs, and less fats, and more healthy foods.

The physio got me back into exercise, pacing it at a level I could manage.

The big change came when I filled in my food log for the week, which coincided with a school holiday, and my wife at home.
BBQ's, meat, wine, burgers, not a veg in sight, all faithfully written down.

So I stopped eating her cooking, and switched to my own.

All freshly made, all low fat, low calorie, and cut out any spare carbs.

No rice, no pasta, no bread, no fat.

So salad over summer, beans, chicken, and fish. Bottle of low alcohol wine very occasionally.
Ryvita for breakfast, not bacon sandwiches.

A lot of spice, home made bean curries, chilli, etc.
And making enough for the week, and freezing it.
(I found making a big batch, of something like a basic chicken and assorted veg, freezing in small portion sizes, then adding whatever flavour to it when I microwave it works well for food in the week)

Weaning myself of the snacks as well,

http://www.snack-girl.com/

was a good site.

Some very easy recipes, there is one in there for soup for example, which is basically a tin of kidney beans, and a tin of tomatoes in a blender. Adapted to use left over veg, and tomatoes, and it's made and cooked in a few minutes, and does lunch for me.

My target was 800 to 1200 calories a day to start, and I seemed able to achieve that.

The other turning point was I found I actually liked the exercise, (no pressure from super fit types), and we actually bought a gym subscription for my birthday. Again, targeted at semi retired, so no pressure. So down there in the evening when I get a chance, which I've managed three or four times a week, so 6 to 8 hours a week.

So hopefully I can keep this up, and to be honest, I have lost my appetite for a lot of the food I used to eat.

I am so jealous, I started the same way as you in 2011, and could mirror what you were saying but not quite as good on the diet but my hba1c just came crashing down. Absolutely well deserved results for a huge effort, kind wishes, Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Please get your wife on board. Eating is what we do three times a day and eating together is one of the joys of life. Not so much fun though if you are always eating differently. It will be easier to maintain your progress if your wife shares the way of eating and probably healthier for her.

This is such a good line that fits so well. I totally agree that partners should be involved, I crashed & burned on my diet as I watched others tuck into all my favourite meals, I was sat at the table on my own for the extra feeding times. Not having your ' someone ' actively involved sends out a clear message, they don't care. For that reason I started to give in myself and it affected the exercise in me not going to the gym and then it all came crashing down. My last hba1c went from 43 to 50, I was so disappointed. It must be hard too for the partners but they benefit also with weight loss, exercise and healthy eating.

I hope by writing this post that it persuades partners to be involved with the lifestyle of a db, it's such a big ticket I believe anyway. Kind wishes, Q..

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its not always easy when your partners dont wanna play :( i know that douglas and i share this problem

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
True I'm afraid.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/relations.50296/

Bought me some "sauces" in little jars for Xmas.
It was actually a chutney and sweet chili jam selection!

lol, she decided this year we wasnt buying each other presents,
guess what.....
yup she bought me some
really started the day off well, i felt terrible and wanted to throw the presents at her, sound ungrateful?
i am ungrateful, who would do that?

anyway lets not do this again lol

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another visit to the dietician today.

Please to say, even over the Xmas period, the weight has actually gone down.
Final target now is to lose another 3kg,
If I can do it in a month I've hit my target within a year![/quote]

Well done and congratulations :) Losing weight over Christmas shows real commitment. Keep up the good work:)

Reactions: 2 people

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes well done Douglas and well done to everyone else who has achieved similar results, I too have lowered my HA1C results from 9.2% in July to 4.8% in November 2013, my doc told me it was good but a little too low and has taken me off the met.

I cut down the carbs, and fat and cut out all sugar well nearly all, and started walking everyday and have lost 3 stone, it's been a struggle over xmas and have gained about 4 pounds but I am now back on the diet again.

I bought my own glucose meter and found this a big help I don't think I could of done it without one.

Reactions: 5 people

davich

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who complain for the sake of complaining. The why me brigade. Live with what you have and make the best of your life.
hi Douglas
I know this is an old thread now but I take heart that I may be able to lower my glucose levels by losing weight and eating a sensible low carb diet. My level is 6.00 and I am 2 stone overweight. Well done you :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Just realised the downside.

I've had to buy a new suit,

I realised the trousers looked similar to clown pants, I could hold the waist out, look down the inside of the legs, and see my feet!

New ones are 8 inches smaller!

Yeah that comes as a bit of a shock. I went from a 42" waist to 32" in six months had to buy loads of new clothes, even shirts as I even lost two inches off my neck size.