Lowering hba1c advice

Pepsi Max

Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic on insulin pump. Hoping to start a family soon. Was wondering what type of diet is best to follow to bring your hba1c down to the recommended level? Low carb high fat, low fat, calorie controlled...? I could also do with losing 10lbs. My last hba1c was 8, highest it's ever been so I need to focus. Thanks .

Elc1112

Are you type 1 or 2? I am type 1. I try to stick to a relatively low carb diet, but need to have enough carbs to prevent the hypos. Foods that are low GI help to avoid fluctuations, which really helps. My latest HBA1C was 35. Can never remember what that is in old language!

I've found that the lowish card and GI helps me keep my weight under control, too.

Hope that helps :)

Em

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @Pepsi Max i was told a balanced diet, obviously lots of healthy things but trying to follow low GI to stop blood sugar spikes. I worked really hard to get my hba1c down. Second time with my twins I was so sick that in practice I ate lots of crisps just as that's what I could manage. Have you tried dual or square wave bolus before your meal to try get post meal sugars down? Targets are normally about 7.5 one hour after meal xx

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic on insulin pump. Hoping to start a family soon. Was wondering what type of diet is best to follow to bring your hba1c down to the recommended level? Low carb high fat, low fat, calorie controlled...? I could also do with losing 10lbs. My last hba1c was 8, highest it's ever been so I need to focus. Thanks .

One of the best ways to get your Hba1C down is to focus on getting your overnight basal right. We spend between 0.25 & 0.33 of our lives asleep so being able to spend that time with a blood glucose level <7 has a huge impact on overall Hba1C levels.

The second thing to do is to "strike the spikes" and reduce your variability. This will also help, and low-GI or low carb helps with this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

Pepsi Max

One of the best ways to get your Hba1C down is to focus on getting your overnight basal right. We spend between 0.25 & 0.33 of our lives asleep so being able to spend that time with a blood glucose level <7 has a huge impact on overall Hba1C levels.

The second thing to do is to "strike the spikes" and reduce your variability. This will also help, and low-GI or low carb helps with this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! What is "strike the spikes"?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other