Lows

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,
Just looking for some advice really. I am currently on novorapid at meals and have 17 units of Lantus at night with my evening meal. The problem I currently have is that even if I have a high carb meal and have a little novorapid (lately even a correction for high sugars and not counting carbs) I hypo before bed or during the night and feel very nauseous.
Does anyone have any idea of how to stop the nausea because of the hypo?
Thanks

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not on Lantus (Levimir) but it could be that you need less basal in the evenings and overnight (although I think that would be unusual - but we're all different). Worth a chat with your care team?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is a common misconception that taking Lantus and fast acting insulin at the same time will cause hypos. In reality, it's not all that likely. Glargine takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach full efficiency, while Novorapid peaks at around 90 mins.

insulin-wave-chart.jpg

What it suggests is that you probably need to go back and take a look at your IC ratios and your basal levels. I'd start with doing a basal test to check what was going on there, then look at your short acting IC ratio.

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried doing a carb free day and found that I go high and keep needing fast acting so i think you are all right and I will separate them and also look at maybe splitting it so do some in the morning and some at night again. Thanks everyone for all the advice :)