Luck of the Irish

Esoxfables

My daughter sadly passed away aged 36 at 130am. I want to go get a bottle of Whiskey and rinse it as is traditional in Irish families. If any of you know how it goes then you will understand what I'm saying. However I've recently been taking Metformin and have read that it's not a wise move. So.. Do I stay off the tablets for 24 hours and begin the wake or do I need to forget it?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t advise you what to do medications wise as it’s against forum rules, but just wanted to say I’m so so sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine what you are going through, maybe have a couple of drinks for your daughter. If you think you can’t stop at a couple (I know I probably couldn’t given the circumstances) maybe get a quarter bottle or a couple of miniatures so you can do what you have to do. I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry to learn of your loss. My heart goes out to you.

Lakeslover

I guess you made your decision by now but I didn’t want to just read your post and run. I am very sorry to hear about your daughter, it’s a terrible thing when our kids pass before us.

I can’t give medication advice but I’m pretty sure Metformin builds up in the body over several days so skipping one dose wouldn’t change the risk of drinking. I am on Metformin and do drink, but in moderation.

I’m sure your daughter would understand why you were not downing the whole bottle, and would want you to look after yourself. As for friends and family when they try and press another on you just tell them you are on pills that react with alcohol and it could make you very ill.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am so sorry to hear about your daughter, you're in my thoughts and prayers.