Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
sean_bonner said:
Hi

I am wondering if any one on here know if I am able to get Lucozade tablets on prescription?

Hi I know of a diabetic type 2 who can get his Glucose tablets on prescription and that's because he's over 60. I pay for my own, but I haven't even thought of asking my GP if I can or can't, as they are only about 60p a packet.

Best wishes RRB

sean_bonner

Robinredbreast said:
sean_bonner said:
Hi

I am wondering if any one on here know if I am able to get Lucozade tablets on prescription?

Hi I know of a diabetic type 2 who can get his Glucose tablets on prescription and that's because he's over 60. I pay for my own, but I haven't even thought of asking my GP if I can or can't, as they are only about 60p a packet.

Best wishes RRB

Thanks for the reply but i was inquiring due to me having lots of hypos and i need quite a few packs for different places

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sean_bonner said:
Hi

It was the case that they'd only prescribe the gel that you squirted in your mouth (was it called Hypostop?) as I once asked, things might have changed since then and as RRB knows someone who gets glucose tabs on prescription it's worth asking.

Jelly babies work just as well for hypo's and you can pick them up in discount stores for around a £1 a bag.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get lucozade tablets on prescription, but I do get gluco-tabs which are almost exactly the same.

I also get the gluco-gel.

Personally I have used neither of them in my almost 4 months since diagnosis. I prefer haribo or jelly babies. They taste nicer and I wouldn't usually be able to have them so it's a treat!

Sarahfergo

My doctor will only give me the hypo stop gel which makes me want to vomit, I spend a fortune on lucozade and tablets its a joke! Us diabetics should get an allowance or something along the line I loose money at work with hospital appointments which I'm having a lot of lately as I've got diabetic complications does any one agree, ps I'm not badly controlled I'm just so stressed with this being diabetic!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get the gel on prescription or glucose tablets depending on what your gp preferred to use if your on insulin.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I've had 2 low readings since starting insulin, 4.3 and 4.6, doesn't seem that low but I still got the shakes and a bit of nausea.
So I bought some bags of a kids sweet called ' fun gums ' they have a sugar content of 29.6 g per bag, so I had half the bag and bingo within 5 mins back up to 6.9. Job done.

And they taste fabulouso !

Chip

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
No It didn't go higher letter....

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is a lot of qa sugar even for a hypo, do you know why u needed so much? Too much insulin, unexpected activity, alchohol consumed?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
Is a lot of qa sugar even for a hypo, do you know why u needed so much? Too much insulin, unexpected activity, alchohol consumed?

Half a bag is 15g..... They recommend 10g - 15g to start. How much would you usually use?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Op said sugar content 29.6 per bag. This would be very qa also. I would have 10 carbs of qa sugar for a hypo and a small longer lasting 10 carb snack if my next meal was longer than a 1.5 hour wait. If I had nearly 30g of qa sugar I know I would hit the teens. Everyone is different I know but did seem alot

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
******, apologies just re ~ read half bag lol.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I don't know about prescription but I order mine in bulk from Amazon. I get 6 massive pots for £13 and they last me ages. Have a nose and see what you think

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
Thanks for the replies people, I'm (temporarily) on insulin after having whopping great drip fed doses of steroids at Papworth for a possible transplant rejection or blockage. So my experiences of hypo's are extremely limited, but having read on here so much advice for hypo's I thought that 15g would do the trick, as indeed it did.

I must say that this insulin thing has to be treated with a great deal of respect, I've been previously balancing the Gliclazide and the jolly old Metformin for 12 years with a good level of control.

Keep calm and carry on,

Superchip

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Superchip. I'm truly sorry to hear you are having difficulties. Hope everything rights itself for you. Take care and be well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
Thanks TCat, much appreciated.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
******, apologies just re ~ read half bag lol.

Easy mistake to make!

Did have me briefly concerned that my usual 12g bag of haribo was too much. No chance of me giving that up haha