Lumps

lahdida

Hi everyone.I have a small problem ,for some reason my novorapid only works to full effect if injected into my stomach and eventhough Im rotating the injection site Im getting lumps.Can I do anything to prevent this?

matt

Hi I don't know if its the same thing but I was experiencing red itchy lumps around injection sites on my stomach that would take several days to clear up. It turned out that the 5mm needles I was using were too short and by changing to 8mm the problem cleared up.

deanfeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mondays
Hello, i seem to get this problem quite often, I get a small hard lump in the spot where i injected. This is die to the needle not going in far enough or injecting into muscle. I find that my novorapid works better in my stomach too.

It will all be fine....

Lady J

Don't assume that "all will be fine" - research suggests that where you have hard/lumpy injection sites the insulin won't be absorbed properly. This is further exacerbated by the fact that if you then in turn exercise that area (so say you have lumpy injection sites in your legs and then do some squats) you can accidentally "release" insulin that has been building up there because it can't be absorbed.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to keep trying to rotate as much as possible and really keep an eye on this. Even when I think I'm rotating a lot, I unconsciously tend to re-visit the same or similar sites again and again - for example, think if you are left or right handed and whether one particular side of your stomach is favoured.

Other than thighs you can consider your buttocks or hips (if you have enough fat there). Alterntatively, just keep a really accurate note (or memory) of where you have injected previously so that you are sure you're rotating enough.

Good luck!

LJ

lahdida

Hey ,
Thanks for the advice,matt I'm already using the 8mm needles so i dont think its that can you get longer ones ??
Lady j-Im a bit anxious about realising the insulin in my lumps as I have two at the moment,thanks for the advise though I keep an eye out for hypos!
Thanks everyone :)