Lunch options Type1 with Coeliac

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Can I ask for ideas please. I work with a young man who has type1 diabetes and coeliac disease . Til now for lunch he has had gluten free bread sandwiches with a variety of fillings , along with fruit and yougurt. However he has been assessed by speech and language therapist and she has advised eliminating gluten free bread as it is too dry and crumbly and making him cough/ risk of aspiration. The fruit and yogurt are still ok and some days he has potato and soup for lunch , just looking for one or two other options for other days . Thanks in advance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Can I ask for ideas please. I work with a young man who has type1 diabetes and coeliac disease . Til now for lunch he has had gluten free bread sandwiches with a variety of fillings , along with fruit and yougurt. However he has been assessed by speech and language therapist and she has advised eliminating gluten free bread as it is too dry and crumbly and making him cough/ risk of aspiration. The fruit and yogurt are still ok and some days he has potato and soup for lunch , just looking for one or two other options for other days . Thanks in advance

I eat one or two crackers most days, with a spread on top, cheese and onion, pate or cream cheese and bacon. I but these from Morroson's or Asda's. I also eat 9 bars, raw cucumber, sliced peppers or carrot with some dip are very tasty. He could eat cheese or cold meats too and I love homemade soup :)
With the bread, if out and about, I would choose, meat, cream cheese and some salad, or egg mayo, as this takes away the dryness of the bread.

Reactions: Louise M

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
I eat one or two crackers most days, with a spread on top, cheese and onion, pate or cream cheese and bacon. I but these from Morroson's or Asda's. I also eat 9 bars, raw cucumber, sliced peppers or carrot with some dip are very tasty. He could eat cheese or cold meats too and I love homemade soup :)
With the bread, if out and about, I would choose, meat, cream cheese and some salad, or egg mayo, as this takes away the dryness of the bread.
Thanks robin, but we have already tried putting cheese / ham/salad/ tuna salad on the bread but it is still causing risk of choking. The crackers are out also as they are dry and crumbly too .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks robin, but we have already tried putting cheese / ham/salad/ tuna salad on the bread but it is still causing risk of choking. The crackers are out also as they are dry and crumbly too .

What about some cream cheese wrapped up in a piece of meat. Or a chicken, bacon and cheese salad with a dressing of his choice, with some coleslaw too.

Reactions: Louise M

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Robyn, will pass those on

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've made a crustless quiche a couple of times (a Slimming World recipe I found online ). That was nice along with some salad, and wouldn't be too dry.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some think porridge only is for breakfast, but just wanted to say you can make that if you get oats.They are gluten free naturally, but some are sold as not produces in an environment that contains gluten and safest. It will say on the box.
You can add cinnamon and butter, or berries.it can be made with water or milk.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Louise M having just read @M80 's post about porridge not being just for breakfast, it's reminded me that I have in the past experimented with savoury porridge!

Stock (from a cube) instead of milk/water, then some grated cheese mixed through. Or cream cheese.

Bonkers but yummy!

:)