1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lunches at work

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Barba_Rossa, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Barba_Rossa

Barba_Rossa Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Forum newcomer here, just diagnosed this week with Type 2.

I'm looking for ideas for what I could take with me for lunch at work. My days of sandwiches, crisps and a chocolate bar are well and truly in the rear view mirror.

In the days since I was diagnosed I've been wandering the aisles of Sainsburys on the way in each morning and ending up with a mixture of chicken, nuts, olives, a couple of eggs and some salad.

I'd like to get back into the habit of making my lunch to take in with me. If anyone has any top tips I'd be really grateful!

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there

I take things like smoked salmon and cream cheese; cold meats; boiled eggs; pieces of cheese; tinned tuna or salmon mixed.with mayonnaise. Or sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before to warm in the microwave. You can add veg or salad or as you have been doing, a few nuts. Bags of pork crackling or pork scratchings are good if you fancy something with a bit of crunch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenn

Fenn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like cheese (thick cut chip size) wrapped in ham or chorizo etc, yum, you need a fridge though

Marks and spencer petrol station do these, just to try it, three packets for £7

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The M&S ones gave me the idea to do this at home. I use a really good slice of ham rolled up with a slice a slice of Gauda. Yumdynomnom.

Another idea I got was for the home made version of M&S Texas Slammer which is a piece of strong cheddar with a layer of high meat content sausage around it and then a layer of dry cured bacon. Really nice and thoroughly satisfying.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Almost t2 twin... was diagnosed last week. I teach so biazarelly a good time for it to happen as I can focus on it and not work.

Got a great cookbook Weight loss for diabetes I think. It was recommended on here. I have tried different things so far including 'mug muffins' (I can't stand the name for some reason!) I made a kind of cheese scone version which was amazing

50g almond flour
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking powder
    Lots of grated cheese

Mix up, put in mug and microwave for up to 2 mins.
    Or, I prefer this way, separate into to two in a muffin tin and bake for 10mns.

They were lovely with lots of butter and were really scone like!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gryph

Gryph Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anniya84

Anniya84 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I usually have Tesco's Simple salad with either string cheese or chicken slices. That's less than a fiver for lunch. I just can't be bothered to make it the night before, and so many times I leave the house forgetting to pick up the lunch... :shy:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Homemade Frittata, Google will tell you how to make them, then freeze them and take them out of the freezer the night before.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I take a small can of Diet Coke, Baby Belle cheeses, pickled boiled eggs, peanuts or walnuts, occasionally some cooked ham slices, occasionally a low carb sandwich and occasionally a small bottle of full fat milk.

However I have a canteen cooked full English breakfast for lunch quite frequently. Or an omelette to order.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barba_Rossa

Thanks everyone - these are really helpful suggestions. I’ll try some of them out in the next few weeks. For now I’m letting simplicity rule the day. Cravings haven’t been an issue so far. In fact I’ve found the whole thing so scary that the idea of eating anything ‘bad’ makes me feel ill.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Barba_Rossa, my go to is homemade SOUP (chicken since you ask). Make it as low carb as you want, stick it in a flask and you have it readily available whilst at work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barba_Rossa

That sounds ideal. I’ll have a look for a recipe! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

Some fab suggestions on here! At the minute I'm still enjoying my spicy chicken salads for lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook