Lunches at work

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Forum newcomer here, just diagnosed this week with Type 2.

I'm looking for ideas for what I could take with me for lunch at work. My days of sandwiches, crisps and a chocolate bar are well and truly in the rear view mirror.

In the days since I was diagnosed I've been wandering the aisles of Sainsburys on the way in each morning and ending up with a mixture of chicken, nuts, olives, a couple of eggs and some salad.

I'd like to get back into the habit of making my lunch to take in with me. If anyone has any top tips I'd be really grateful!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I take things like smoked salmon and cream cheese; cold meats; boiled eggs; pieces of cheese; tinned tuna or salmon mixed.with mayonnaise. Or sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before to warm in the microwave. You can add veg or salad or as you have been doing, a few nuts. Bags of pork crackling or pork scratchings are good if you fancy something with a bit of crunch.

Reactions: ringi

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I like cheese (thick cut chip size) wrapped in ham or chorizo etc, yum, you need a fridge though

Marks and spencer petrol station do these, just to try it, three packets for £7

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I like cheese (thick cut chip size) wrapped in ham or chorizo etc, yum, you need a fridge though

Marks and spencer petrol station do these, just to try it, three packets for £7
The M&S ones gave me the idea to do this at home. I use a really good slice of ham rolled up with a slice a slice of Gauda. Yumdynomnom.

Another idea I got was for the home made version of M&S Texas Slammer which is a piece of strong cheddar with a layer of high meat content sausage around it and then a layer of dry cured bacon. Really nice and thoroughly satisfying.

mouseee

Almost t2 twin... was diagnosed last week. I teach so biazarelly a good time for it to happen as I can focus on it and not work.

Got a great cookbook Weight loss for diabetes I think. It was recommended on here. I have tried different things so far including 'mug muffins' (I can't stand the name for some reason!) I made a kind of cheese scone version which was amazing

50g almond flour
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
Lots of grated cheese

Mix up, put in mug and microwave for up to 2 mins.
Or, I prefer this way, separate into to two in a muffin tin and bake for 10mns.

They were lovely with lots of butter and were really scone like!

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I usually have Tesco's Simple salad with either string cheese or chicken slices. That's less than a fiver for lunch. I just can't be bothered to make it the night before, and so many times I leave the house forgetting to pick up the lunch... :shy:

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Homemade Frittata, Google will tell you how to make them, then freeze them and take them out of the freezer the night before.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a small can of Diet Coke, Baby Belle cheeses, pickled boiled eggs, peanuts or walnuts, occasionally some cooked ham slices, occasionally a low carb sandwich and occasionally a small bottle of full fat milk.

However I have a canteen cooked full English breakfast for lunch quite frequently. Or an omelette to order.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone - these are really helpful suggestions. I’ll try some of them out in the next few weeks. For now I’m letting simplicity rule the day. Cravings haven’t been an issue so far. In fact I’ve found the whole thing so scary that the idea of eating anything ‘bad’ makes me feel ill.

Reactions: youngl31

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Barba_Rossa, my go to is homemade SOUP (chicken since you ask). Make it as low carb as you want, stick it in a flask and you have it readily available whilst at work.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Barba_Rossa, my go to is homemade SOUP (chicken since you ask). Make it as low carb as you want, stick it in a flask and you have it readily available whilst at work.

That sounds ideal. I’ll have a look for a recipe! Thanks for the suggestion.