stardust92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everybody,

I was diagnosed as type 1 only 4 months ago, until this week everything has been going really well but these last few days I've been getting blood sugar readings of 14 or 15, always after lunch, although I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary and I've injected my insulin as normal.

Does anybody please have an idea what might be causing this? I haven't been doing anything different apart from I have started injecting into my lower back (although I'm really skinny and don't have much fat) - although this seems to be ok for breakfast and dinner.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Ruth

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Ruth and welcome to the forum :)

Maybe you need to look at your insulin-to-carb ratio for your lunch, but before you do that it's worth doing a basal check to make sure the bg rise isn't due to insufficient basal insulin.

Many of us find we have different I:C ratios from morning to night so it does vary from meal-to-meal, plus pre-bolusing ahead of your food reduces postprandial spikes so try injecting 10-20 mins before eating to see if this makes a difference, on average I bolus 20 mins before food unless the meal is high in fat.

Reactions: 2 people

stardust92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much for your reply. I never realised how I may need to vary my injections by site/carb ratio - I was pretty much told to do 1:15 and just rotate the sites, so you have been very helpful.