1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

lunchtime spikes

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by stardust92, Jun 15, 2016.

1. stardust92

stardust92 Type 1 · Member

Hello everybody,

I was diagnosed as type 1 only 4 months ago, until this week everything has been going really well but these last few days I've been getting blood sugar readings of 14 or 15, always after lunch, although I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary and I've injected my insulin as normal.

Does anybody please have an idea what might be causing this? I haven't been doing anything different apart from I have started injecting into my lower back (although I'm really skinny and don't have much fat) - although this seems to be ok for breakfast and dinner.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Ruth

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi Ruth and welcome to the forum :)

Maybe you need to look at your insulin-to-carb ratio for your lunch, but before you do that it's worth doing a basal check to make sure the bg rise isn't due to insufficient basal insulin.

Many of us find we have different I:C ratios from morning to night so it does vary from meal-to-meal, plus pre-bolusing ahead of your food reduces postprandial spikes so try injecting 10-20 mins before eating to see if this makes a difference, on average I bolus 20 mins before food unless the meal is high in fat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stardust92

stardust92 Type 1 · Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I never realised how I may need to vary my injections by site/carb ratio - I was pretty much told to do 1:15 and just rotate the sites, so you have been very helpful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook