Lyxumia

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, well started on higher dose yesterday and felt really sick. I think was down to eating spicy food, recommend not to eat anything spicy. Today bs higher than ever,15_20. Hope it all settles down soon. Today feeling slightly sick and headaches. As this s the last option before insulin.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on my second pen of the higher dose, so still early days. Mostly I feel fine, but some evenings I do feel bloated and nauseous after a couple of mouthfuls of food. There doesn't seem to be much pattern to this. BS came in at 6.4 this evening though, so that's looking good.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on my second pen of the higher dose, so still early days. Mostly I feel fine, but some evenings I do feel bloated and nauseous after a couple of mouthfuls of food. There doesn't seem to be much pattern to this. BS came in at 6.4 this evening though, so that's looking good.
Hi, just o warn you, yesterday i had a bad tummy upset all afternoon unusually due to metformin. He was around 10/11. Did my injection before my tea and wham... Was so I'll feeling sick etc. Thought this was not normal and after 2 hours started to feel a bit better. Starting feeling very cold and shaky. Checked be and it had plummeted to 3.6 . Oh my days. Eat sugar fast. So don't injection if you have had diahrea.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on metformin for years and every now and then I still get awful runs. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to those either. Blasted medication - I think they make it like this to just stop us eating!

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you may be right about that, also i read that lyxumia is very cheap.£1+per day. Think i will look up info about bydrian ?? My bs was 10+ this morning but his afternoon it was 18+ Lyxumia brings bs down rapidly but it doesn't last 24 hours. More like 4. So yesterday was my first hypo.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So Budrium? So a weekly injection with a bigger needle. Same kind of drug as is Byetta . All have the same side effects.ei headache and nausia..

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me again, so in the space of 2 hours my bs has gone from 18.6 to 5.6 after injection. Thumping head.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the process of having to take insulin as metformin and glicazide not lowering bs enough I thought I was doing ok but blood test done Xmas Eve came back at 85 but 3 mths ago it was 99 just before each blood test I had just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids for a chest infection for asthma problems and these drugs always raise bs I am scared about taking insulin I have an appointment next week in which my husband has to come along as well so she can talk to me about it I thought my bs reading was good at 85 at least it's coming down I didn't overdo things at Christmas and even lost 3 lbs in weight can I refuse insulin ? And carry on with the pills or will I benefit from taking insulin ? I have to admit I get some hypos with the glicazide and am quite scared that I will be more prone to hypo's once I'm on insulin .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Maybe try drinking more water for headache?

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again ,thanks for that advice, I have a glass here ready. Due for injection in a mo. Last night when I started feeling ill again I took 1 paracetamol and sucked 1 glucose sweet. Immediately stopped feeling sick and headache went within minutes. My morning bs is 10/11 then in afternoon about 4pm goes up to about 18. Then after jab it falls below 4. So confused. Should i not have any lunch?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again ,thanks for that advice, I have a glass here ready. Due for injection in a mo. Last night when I started feeling ill again I took 1 paracetamol and sucked 1 glucose sweet. Immediately stopped feeling sick and headache went within minutes. My morning bs is 10/11 then in afternoon about 4pm goes up to about 18. Then after jab it falls below 4. So confused. Should i not have any lunch?

When is your next appointment with someone at your surgery? Our surgery diabetic nurse is happy for me to ring her with questions about the change to new medication. Well, I ring and request her t ring me back when she has a spare moment. So much easier than taking up a whole appointment.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rosie, well the nausia and headache are getting a little milder now. I was going to give up, but have decided to stick it out untill my next appointment. Not on the second pen yet so hopefully the side effects will get less. I took your advice and drink plenty of water a injection time and after. Also I nibble on stuff sometimes to stop the nausia. Have lost weight too, about 2/3kg And that's just week one. My bs has dropped, still not in range about 10/11 and then drops to about 4 after jab. I take 1000SR metformin after breakfast and lyxumia before main meal at teatime. I am not having as many sleepless nights. Weight now 11.2

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to hear things are improving. Interesting to see that you think it is a cheap drug. My diabetic nurse was doing a big sell on it to me and said "It's so very expensive that we can't give it to all patients. Only to those we think will try hard with it." Methinks there was a bit of ye olde flannel going on!

lynnnora2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on my third dose of the higher strength luxuriate. I feel a bit nauseated today but my sugars are coming down nicely. I so pleased

lynnnora2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5th day injecting Lyxumia higher dose. I think I feel better today. I felt a bit out of it yesterday and very tired and sickly. I seem to have lost 3lb since Wednesday but not getting my hopes up about weightloss as I don't usually tend to lose anything easy. I anyway would really love to hear from people who are on Lyxumia to compare notes.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been taken off it. I had got used to it and I felt it was working, but they tested me after a holiday in France where my control had lapsed, so they said it was too expensive to use if the effects were minimal.

lynnnora2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long did it take for you to get used to it? And how long were you on it? That's a shame if you felt it was working.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6 months on it. It didn't take too long to get used to it, except every now and then the sicky feelings would come back.

QUOKKAGIRL

After a year on lyxumia I still have diarrhoea and nausea. I've lost some weight. Also on metformin morning and evening. Numbers are unstable. The alternative is insulin.

Has anyone else still got nausea and diarrhoea after such a long time?