Macula Edema

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

I have been to hospital had an eye scan and seen the consultant she says i have macula edema fluid build up behind the eye i have to go back in 4 to 6 weeks and might need injections in my eye sounds yuck and hope it won't hurt if I have to have injections.

Anyone else had this procedure done.

Sparklebrightisright.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, I've had anti-VEGF jabs in the eye.. They sort of rotate the site with each injection.
There is a local anaesthetic used in the form of eye drops..

The cleaning of the area & the prep for the jab was more a faff than the actual "thing." (For me.)

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi Jay Lee

Thankyou for the info how many do you need to have and do you have them repeated if it comes back again.

Sparklebrightisright.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jay Lee

Thankyou for the info how many do you need to have and do you have them repeated if it comes back again.

Sparklebrightisright.

Well?
This started a few years back. I was diagnosed for the right eye & was initially given a course of 6 injections, one a month.
Then there was further scan monitoring. A couple more jabs which seemed to do the trick.
Then they discovered the left eye. I had another 4 jabs in the left. & a few more in the right.
In total, I may have had 11/12 jabs in the right & just 4 in the left.

But for the last 18 months 2 years, I've pretty much had the all clear..
They still monitor regularly & if it came back do what they have to do whilst I'm there..

But everybody responds differently to treatment & BG management is key to helping.

Of course with covid all this is up in the air..I recently had a letter from the ophthalmology department postponing my next check up.

I found the staff where I went companionate, professional people.

I appreciate the prospect of this may feel a bit daunting..

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Jay Lee

Thankyou for the info just hope I dont have to have many it will freak me out I dont mind doing insulin but dont know about having injections in my eye.

Will have to see.

Sparklebrightisright.