FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi there

At my routine retinal eye screening appointment the consultant said that it was time for me to consider macular laser for his diagnosis of diabetic macular edema.
Unfortunately due to poor control of my Type II diabetes the fluid leakage has not improved.
Luckily it is currently outside of the field of vision, if you imagine a target and the field of vision, being the bull’s-eye it’s not the next circle, but the next one outside of that. However I have been warned if I do not get this treatment it could well spread downwards and then into my field of vision
Has anyone here experienced macula laser treatment for this condition? What was the procedure like? Did it hurt? Were there any after-effects?
I guess my main concern is the recovery time and whether it will affect me being able to drive. I’m shortly to take on a new job that will heavily rely on me being able to drive.
Thanks in advance.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@FelineFan
I have macular edema --- but it is very central ( using your bullseye analogy ) so I am unable to have laser treatment for it-- I have had laser treatment for retinopathy in the past , and while i would not describe it as a pleasant experience -- no it doesn't really hurt -- it is more the fear thhat the consultant is going to zap a hole through the back of your head if you blink.

I have had some injections for the macular edema -- which have helped a bit.

Reactions: Kevin259

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FelineFan
I have macular edema --- but it is very central ( using your bullseye analogy ) so I am unable to have laser treatment for it-- I have had laser treatment for retinopathy in the past , and while i would not describe it as a pleasant experience -- no it doesn't really hurt -- it is more the fear thhat the consultant is going to zap a hole through the back of your head if you blink.

Thank you for that. :)
Yes, he did mention, when asked about the risks of the procedure, about blinking! :nailbiting:
Apologies for my naivety, but what do you mean by injections, are these injections straight into the eye?

Reactions: himtoo

Dark Horse

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FelineFan

Thank you for that. :)
Yes he did mention, when asked about the risks of the procedure, about blinking! :nailbiting:
Apologies for my naivete but what do you mean by injections, are these injections straight into the eye?
Yes, the injections are into the vitreous of the eye. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007629.htm

As @himtoo says, laser can't be used for central oedema so injections are used.

Thank you for your response and the link

Reactions: Dark Horse

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @FelineFan
imagine -lying on an exam bed and the doctor comes toward your head from the side while you are facing up at the ceiling -so the injection comes at you from your peripheral vision and is injected in to the white area ( so you kind of do see it coming but not really totally )
and no -- I did not find it at all pleasant

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having had 100 injections for Oedema, fluid just keeps returning, whilst being unpleasant, it is not generally, to painfully. Dependant on who does it. Like doctors taking blood. Clinical nurses, often do a better job. The prior fear, is usually worse , than the procedure itself.
I'm one of the unlucky ones, who need constant jabs , monthly or every other. The lucky ones, may only need the odd jab. BE LUCKY

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry for the delayed responses, but thank you petdell and himtoo forvyour helpful replies