Maculopathy letter

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Have you had to have any treatment for yours?

I had laser in my left eye over 2 sessions, although I had to chase up the second appointment. I waited one year for laser due to the pandemic. I originally went because I woke up with "broken" vision in the bottom of my left eye. This was due to no monitoring (eye screening) for just over a year (again, apparently, due to the pandemic).

I waited one month on urgent referral from my optician and then 1 year for the treatment to be completed.

So, you could argue, extreme circumstances as it was left to linger for far too long.

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had laser in my left eye over 2 sessions, although I had to chase up the second appointment. I waited one year for laser due to the pandemic. I originally went because I woke up with "broken" vision in the bottom of my left eye. This was due to no monitoring (eye screening) for just over a year (again, apparently, due to the pandemic).

I waited one month on urgent referral from my optician and then 1 year for the treatment to be completed.

So, you could argue, extreme circumstances as it was left to linger for far too long.
How awful that it was just left to linger. I hope things are much better for you now. That must have been frightening to wake up with broken vision.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
How awful that it was just left to linger. I hope things are much better for you now. That must have been frightening to wake up with broken vision.

I was kind of lucky in the sense the vision loss was at the very bottom of my eye and not central. I'm still a bit pee' d off about it really as to why screening was cancelled so much due to the pandemic. Well, according to my optician, it seemed to be a complete lottery - some people got it, others not.. Apparently, I wasn't a priority when I called the hospital.

I also can't believe everything came to a stand still, I had covid, no vaccine and it was more mild than a common cold - they only thing I had was that fact, for some odd reason, I couldn't sleep for the duration, and I lost sense of smell and taste. Given covid, or my eye sight, it's a no brainer. Then of course there were people who were diabetic and lost their lives due to not even being seen. Seemed everything was put aside for one reason - covid. Anyway, thats a whole other topic.

Given the fact that things are back to normal now (well kind of), and you should get your treatment in good time (if needed), you should be fine. Also, just keep an eye on your BG, eat healthy, exercise and keep an eye on blood pressure and cholesterol. It may also be worth investing in some supplements like Lutein, Vitamin A, Omega 3, Complete B vitamins, and some others with a focus on promoting eye health. Last thing, try not to worry about it, I know it's easier said than done, but it will just drive you mad.

Last edited:

Helen1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was kind of lucky in the sense the vision loss was at the very bottom of my eye and not central. I'm still a bit pee' d off about it really as to why screening was cancelled so much due to the pandemic. Well, according to my optician, it seemed to be a complete lottery - some people got it, others not.. Apparently, I wasn't a priority when I called the hospital.

I also can't believe everything came to a stand still, I had covid, no vaccine and it was more mild than a common cold - they only thing I had was that fact, for some odd reason, I couldn't sleep for the duration, and I lost sense of smell and taste. Given covid, or my eye sight, it's a no brainer. Then of course there were people who were diabetic and lost their lives due to not even being seen. Seemed everything was put aside for one reason - covid. Anyway, thats a whole other topic.

Given the fact that things are back to normal now (well kind of), and you should get your treatment in good time (if needed), you should be fine. Also, just keep an eye on your BG, eat healthy, exercise and keep an eye on blood pressure and cholesterol. It may also be worth investing in some supplements like Lutein, Vitamin A, Omega 3, Complete B vitamins, and some others with a focus on promoting eye health. Last thing, try not to worry about it, I know it's easier said than done, but it will just drive you mad.
That’s terrible, I can understand why you wouldn’t be happy about that. So many people suffered so much during the terrible covid time. Thank you so much for your advice! I am glad to hear that things are a bit more settled for you now, that’s good news. You are right, it’s hard not to drive yourself mad with worry, especially when you look on Google!!! It’s hard to find anything positive when you read up about it, but it’s always important to have hope!