Maculopathy treatment

BSG 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I was diagnosed with maculopathy in my right eye in December but have been told I have a 20 week wait for treatment. I've heard that faster treatment is more effective so am a bit concerned. I used to have my diabetic treatment in a different area and remember faster appointments (although this is the first time I've been referred for eye treatment). I can go back to that area and rege=ister again there. Do you think that would be advisable?

Dark Horse

Were you diagnosed with macular oedema in an ophthalmology department or did you just get a 'diabetic maculopathy' result from a screening test? With the latter, there should be a routine (not urgent) referral to ophthalmology to be seen within 13 weeks for further tests. See standard DES- PS-12 in https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ds_and_Performance_Objectives_August_2017.pdf

These tests can reveal either that a) treatment is not needed (with a return to screening) b) treatment may be needed but not yet (with follow-up appointments in ophthalmology) or c) treatment is needed in the near future (with a follow-up appointment in the near future).

Although treatment is more effective in the earlier stages of diabetic retinopathy, good diabetic control can result in sufficient improvement that treatment is not needed so it's unwise to treat too soon.

BSG 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks dark horse - it was screened as diabetic maculopathy. I guess I may be over-reacting but 20 weeks seems like a long time - good to see the guidelines say a shorter time. I think I’ll talk to my GP

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @BSG 2
welcome to the forum.
I would agree with what @Dark Horse has advised -- although the wait seems long -- i have retinopathy and a macular oedema and i am seen at opthalmology clinic on 6 monthly intervals ( slight deterioration in my left eye but right eye still pretty much pervect vision )

BSG 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi there @BSG 2
welcome to the forum.
I would agree with what @Dark Horse has advised -- although the wait seems long -- i have retinopathy and a macular oedema and i am seen at opthalmology clinic on 6 monthly intervals ( slight deterioration in my left eye but right eye still pretty much pervect vision )

Hia, thanks, so can you have maculopathy and not need treatment then?

Reactions: himtoo