1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Maculopathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by asfree2019, Mar 9, 2019.

1. asfree2019

asfree2019 · Newbie

Hi there, I’m sick with worry. I have diabetic maculopathy and my next appointment for screening is not for 6 months. Has anyone else with this had a bloodshot eye? I’ve had it about a fortnight. Might just be an allergy. I will make an appointment at the doctor this week though.

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tagging @Jaylee , @himtoo , @porl69 who, if I recall correctly have dealt with this sort of thing, and also @Dark Horse as he knows his way around eye stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. asfree2019

asfree2019 · Newbie

Thanks very much

4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag...can't really help with this one sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @asfree2019 ,

Welcome to the forum.
    I have been treated for macula odema. Which involved anti-VEGF injections. The Lucetis shots left a blood spot in the eye which dispersed by the evening. The Eylia shots dispersed within a couple of hours, if there was any spot at all?
    No other after effects..

I'm assuming in your case the "bloodshot eye" is after treatment for your maculopathy? Could you clarify??
    If it was. Were you also given antibiotic eye drops to be taken 3x daily for 3 days.?

6. asfree2019

asfree2019 · Newbie

Thank you.
    No, I’ve not had any treatment at all. Had my usual eye screening in October. Got a letter in November saying had maculopathy. Had another screening in February, got a letter to say next screening will be August.
    I have no blurred vision or anything like that at all.
    I’m just not sure what to expect.
    My recent hba1c said my glucose was high so I am on another new tablet. I’m really trying with my diet to be healthy so now I’m worried a sudden drop in glucose will make things even worse! It’s always like a damned if I do, damned if I don’t, situation.
    This bloodshot eye seems to be worse later in the day. It’s slightly pink in the morning that’s all.

7. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

hi there
    i was treated for maculopathy in my left eye with lucentis injections about 6 years ago... since then the eye has been stable

it is really important to look after your BG's too.

8. Koalajane

Koalajane Type 2 · Active Member

I am struggling with macular oedema and although my type 2 is in remission the oedema is getting worse because of the steroids I take for PMR. They make my sugars spike for about 5 hours. The only thing I can do, that I can think of, is to try and reduce the steroids.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Macular oedema occurs at the back of the eye, a bloodshot eye occurs at the front of the eye - the two are not related. Generally, a bloodshot eye with no pain or effect on vision is not serious but as you have had it for 2 weeks now, it is advisable to see your GP to get it checked out.

More information here:- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/red-eye/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook