Madness?

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning all. Not trivialising the title but wanted to check in. Ok, since having T2 confirmed 10 days ago, I decided on beating myself up to lose weight as fast as I can. This involves a mixture of near starvation and checking foods and BS with my widget. It seems I only have to look at a carb and my BS heads for the heavens. Dreary. I do love a good roastie and mash, rice and curry.
Truth be told I am a complete slug when it comes to “exercise”. I am fine with meaningful effort but brain turns to mush if you mention gym. Maybe I have to bit the bullet? Interestingly, I have found that walking to do something needed, really helps weight loss but it is no pleasure walking round smoggy east London. People tell me I must eat 3 meals plus snacks but if I want to lose weight- target no pills - this is the only way I can do it. Any thoughts? I see my GP on Thursday, hoping for a meaningful discussion.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fewer meals you eat the better.. I usually only have one or two a day and no snacking.
Never have breakfast (just tea and coffee)
Walking is good (any parks around you) gym is not essential at all.
You can still have takeaways just need to eat smarter and cut the carbs so chicken tikka main course with say a spinach side dish or aubergine (brinjal). You need to cut the starches not the food! No need for starvation whatsoever (unless you like a bit of self flagellation that is).

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fewer meals you eat the better.. I usually only have one or two a day and no snacking.
You can still have takeaways just need to eat smarter and cut the carbs so chicken tikka main course with say a spinach side dish or aubergine (brinjal). You need to cut the starches not the food! No need for starvation whatsoever (unless you like a bit of self flagellation that is).
[QUOTE="bulkbiker, post: 1825296, member: 219467
You can still have takeaways just need to eat smarter and cut the carbs so chicken tikka main course with say a spinach side dish or aubergine (brinjal). You need to cut the starches not the food! No need for starvation whatsoever (unless you like a bit of self flagellation that is).[/QUOTE]
Thank you.. appreciated. Never been up for breakfast but recently made more effort. Not really traditional in my choices that’s for sure. Today I am contemplating some marinated anchovies!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@rosco 2
If you click on reply then type outside the Quote area you'll find what has just happened above won't happen.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting tricky for me to see where to reply. Not a straightforward forum...
Things I decided= ******
You can still have takeaways just need to eat smarter and cut the carbs so chicken tikka main course with say a spinach side dish or aubergine (brinjal). You need to cut the starches not the food! No need for starvation whatsoever (unless you like a bit of self

Edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @rosco 2 welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 to send you her welcome pack. Can you give us a little more info? What was your HbA1c, blood glucose levels, weight, medication etc. Please only answer what you are comfortable with. This will help other members give you some advice. I started Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) 2 months ago when my HbA1c was 82, blood glucose 16.6 and weight 157Kg. I don't do a great lot of exercise apart from walking my dog. I do 18/6 fasting every day no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, with only black tea, coffee and water during fast. I have also reduced my carbs right down to 5% or less per day. To date I have lost 2 1/2 stone and my Bg are 4.5 average over 7 days. There is lots of information on other threads within the forum covering many issues. You are in the right place for help, advice and support, so any questions ask away. We have all been where you are. Things are a bit daunting at the moment but you will get there. Good luck on your journey :)

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sigh...having real problems with my iPad and seeing where I can reply. So, thank you.
I decided not to worry too much about fat and salt. Concentrate on carbs. Interestingly I have found the traffic light system as used by M&S for example to be helpful. However no packaging I have seen mentions carbs until you go to tiny print on back.
Partner concerned about my relative starvation plan but knows I am trying to get weight back to a healthier place. I was on BMI 30 but have dipped below that now.
Yesterday I walked a long way (for me) got home very late, took my metformin ate a portion of smoked trout, went to sleep. This morning, my BS was higher than it was pre the trout last night. That has confused me, I was not expecting that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning, my BS was higher than it was pre the trout last night. That has confused me, I was not expecting that.
This is something known as the "dawn phenomenon" where your blood sugar goes up to get you out of bed in the morning. It happens to a lot of people and is usually one of the last readings to come down. It's perfectly natural so don't stress about it.
Cutting carbs is indeed the best way to go as you have found.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I eat breakfast it might be sausage and egg or bacon, maybe mushrooms. This keeps me full until dinner time.

Snacks very occasionally 30g peanuts or pork scratchings.

You might want to look into intermittent fasting.

At least you know the effect that carbs have on you.

When you go to your GP make sure you have a list of questions and any evidence of your progress so far.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This morning, my BS was higher than it was pre the trout last night. That has confused me, I was not expecting that.
BS in general can be erratic and unfathomable. This goes for Fasting Blood Glucose (FBC) in particular. Try not to worry too much, even if it's hard not to. That too will come down over time.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @rosco 2 welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 to send you her welcome pack. Can you give us a little more info? What was your HbA1c, blood glucose levels, weight, medication etc. Please only answer what you are comfortable with. This will help other members give you some advice. I started Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) 2 months ago when my HbA1c was 82, blood glucose 16.6 and weight 157Kg. I don't do a great lot of exercise apart from walking my dog. I do 18/6 fasting every day no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, with only black tea, coffee and water during fast. I have also reduced my carbs right down to 5% or less per day. To date I have lost 2 1/2 stone and my Bg are 4.5 average over 7 days. There is lots of information on other threads within the forum covering many issues. You are in the right place for help, advice and support, so any questions ask away. We have all been where you are. Things are a bit daunting at the moment but you will get there. Good luck on your journey :)
Sigh...having real problems with my iPad and seeing where I can reply. So, thank you.
I decided not to worry too much about fat and salt. Concentrate on carbs. Interestingly I have found the traffic light system as used by M&S for example to be helpful. However no packaging I have seen mentions carbs until you go to tiny print on back.
Partner concerned about my relative starvation plan but knows I am trying to get weight back to a healthier place. I was on BMI 30 but have dipped below that now.
Yesterday I walked a long way (for me) got home very late, took my metformin ate a portion of smoked trout, went to sleep. This morning, my BS was higher than it was pre the trout last night. That has confused me, I was not expecting that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its much much better on a desktop.. the ipad app is rubbish.. try using the main site instead.. assuming you are using the app..

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really struggling with this site, it worked the other day, today it’s just trying to make me tag my comments onto the replies. Apologies all.
Thank you for replies. And patience...
Ok. Am a retired nurse but my speciality was not endocrine. I only have had one blood screen and GP has the result. He told me “89” but this meant little as I was used to a different currency if you follow me. However I realised this was probably gobsmackimgly high He told me BS widgets only given to insulin users but he would try to make a case for me to get one. In the meantime a neighbour gave me their GlucoZen for which I was very grateful. Am of a mindset that needs to know...so set out on path of testing myself against foods. So far, it’s basically fish that seems to be ok for me. Bit of a disaster that as partner with not eat fish.
So weight 89kg. at GPs
Whatever “89” might be.
I was on metformin 500mg morning and I decided to add in same at evening meal. Seems to have made no difference it appears. Sod it.
Ongoing using the widget, around 9.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really struggling with this site, it worked the other day, today it’s just trying to make me tag my comments onto the replies. Apologies all.
Thank you for replies. And patience...
Ok. Am a retired nurse but my speciality was not endocrine. I only have had one blood screen and GP has the result. He told me “89” but this meant little as I was used to a different currency if you follow me. However I realised this was probably gobsmackimgly high He told me BS widgets only given to insulin users but he would try to make a case for me to get one. In the meantime a neighbour gave me their GlucoZen for which I was very grateful. Am of a mindset that needs to know...so set out on path of testing myself against foods. So far, it’s basically fish that seems to be ok for me. Bit of a disaster that as partner with not eat fish.
So weight 89kg. at GPs
Whatever “89” might be.
I was on metformin 500mg morning and I decided to add in same at evening meal. Seems to have made no difference it appears. Sod it.
Ongoing using the widget, around 9.
the 89 was probably your HbA1c (average blood sugar level for about the last 2-3 months)
It translates to an average reading of about 13.6 mmol/l
I was diagnosed at 87 so not too far off
https://mobile.twitter.com/Diabetescouk/status/342654280404189184/photo/1
useful graphic here.

if you want to get your own tester (most of us have to) the SD Codefree has the cheapest strips around (which is where the expense comes in)
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
we have various discount codes that make the strips under £6 for 50.

D

Deleted Account

Exercise does not have to be gym or walking for the sake of walking.
However, walking around shops or chatting with mates whilst walking or getting off the bus a couple of stops early or doing some gardening or finding out you like dancing or doing a spring clean or ... is all worthwhile exercise.
I find if I combine exercise with something I enjoy or find a type of exercise I enjoy make me forget I am exercising.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, this time the reply box was waiting for me. No, I have been going to main site on my iPad, the app refuses me in and I don’t care!
Ok, firstly I am not anxious, I am a fatalist but I tend to be very enquiringly and I like to know “why”. So very happy to experiment on self. It keeps me intellectually challenged...
It’s a bit tedious as I was born and brought up in tropics so love a good curry. Hate Mediterranean diet, little interest in cakes and sweets and puddings, don’t really eat fast food, loathe pizza, chips maybe twice a year - that’s the plus bit - can’t abide aspartame and its many derivatives, xylitol is fine but so far gives me the demon shits. Mind you as a weight losing strategy...
Probably a bit miffed with myself for letting my weight get out of hand, like everyone else I assumed I was bulletproof.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The GlucoZen is a permanent gift I think. I ordered more strips and lancets last week. I was trying to find out what widget the nhs uses but no idea as yet. Realistically, if you use the same widget each time then that has consistency given widget has ok function!
I am going to try asking GP to prescribe the hardware. God loves a trier...GP can only say yes or no.
I really appreciate the interest. My speciality was HIV, there was similar support from community with that which was really impressive. I worked in that since ‘84 so I know just how important user groups can be.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like dogs? With a dog the walking changes from 'exercise' to 'meaningful effort'. Plus, it will make the dog happy, and a happy dog is just the best for a good mood :)

Reactions: briped

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don't worry about your replies looking weird. The reply box never forgets. Sometimes I type a reply, then change my mind about what to say, delete it, disappear for a while, come back, and it STILL posts not just the new reply, but the reply I tried to delete too.