Magic 40

SVB

I’m very happy to say that I have reduced my HbA1c from 68 at the end of January to 40 this week when I had my first blood test in six months (due to lockdown). I have lost 2 stone (21lbs/9.52kg).

Thank you everyone who gave advice, I really appreciate it. Now I’ve just got to reduce my cholesterol...... it was 6.4. If anyone has any good ideas how I do this on my low carb diet I would love to hear. Thank you.

Reactions: jackthejoker

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations that's wonderful news and really encouraging for those of us on a similar journey. I'm afraid I don't have any advice re the cholesterol but I'm following as I'd like to hear too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the breakdown of your cholesterol results?
It is the ratios of the various parts of the cholesterol results that give the good, or bad news.
Deciding that a high overall figure is 'bad' without looking at those all important ratios, is a very out dated way of thinking.

Also, if you are losing weight fast, and have switched to low carb, your cholesterol is likely to rise for a while, partly because you are mobilising all that stored fat for energy, and it has to get to where it will be used somehow, and while that happens, it shows up in your cholesterol tests.

You may want to wait a couple of months after you have stopped losing weight to allow your cholesterol to 'settle' before deciding if the new figures are good or bad.

Hope that helps.

SVB

Thank you Brunnneria. I don’t feel like I’m losing weight fast. I’ve been losing an average of about a pound a week. It feels very slow to me! I still have another 14lbs to lose before I consider that I’ve got my figure back. I wasn’t given a breakdown of my reading, I don’t think I would understand the breakdown either, I just know that 4 is maximum normal. But I shall definitely bear in mind what you have advised. Thank you.