Magnesium - are you deficient?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
According to this article, magnesium deficiency could be the cause of so many different health problems. Diabetes is just one of them...

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000668
Personally been reading quite a bit lately that soil is losing a lot of its magnesium so a lot of us aren’t getting enough of the stuff. Explains a whole lot if mag deficiency is causing a whole heap of issues!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. I convinced my practice nurse to add magnesium to my routine bloods due to the fact I eat very low carb and as such it is a more common deficiency. I don’t supplement and so far magnesium is just fine (unlike other levels!)

Reactions: Cocosilk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with standard magnesium blood tests (which are cheap, and therefore beloved by the nhs), is that they test blood levels, not cell/bone levels of magnesium. You need a biopsy style test to find out what is happening in the cells.

Magnesium in the blood can be fine, while the rest of the body is suffering deficiency, because the body maintains blood levels of Magnesium in order to be able to send it to the most needed location.

I heartily recommend this article for a clear explanation of why blood Magnesium tests only show severe deficiency, rather than less severe.
https://www.healthline.com/health/hypomagnesemia

In my own case, I had Magnesium deficiency, with several accompanying symptoms, a blood test did NOT show deficiency.
I was unable to absorb Magnesium supplements in tablet form, but responded superbly to Magnesium Oil rubbed into my skin. All symptoms of deficiency cleared up and continue to be clear, so long as I maintain the use of Magnesium Oil.

in answer to your question @Cocosilk
Yes, I was deficient (like the majority of the population), but am no longer - with significant long term benefits to overall health, esp heart, blood glucose regulation and sleep quality. For which I am deeply grateful.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with standard magnesium blood tests (which are cheap, and therefore beloved by the nhs), is that they test blood levels, not cell/bone levels of magnesium. You need a biopsy style test to find out what is happening in the cells.

Magnesium in the blood can be fine, while the rest of the body is suffering deficiency, because the body maintains blood levels of Magnesium in order to be able to send it to the most needed location.

I heartily recommend this article for a clear explanation of why blood Magnesium tests only show severe deficiency, rather than less severe.

In my own case, I had Magnesium deficiency, with several accompanying symptoms, a blood test did NOT show deficiency.
I was unable to absorb Magnesium supplements in tablet form, but responded superbly to Magnesium Oil rubbed into my skin. All symptoms of deficiency cleared up and continue to be clear, so long as I maintain the use of Magnesium Oil.

Yes, I was deficient (like the majority of the population), but am no longer - with significant long term benefits to overall health, esp heart, blood glucose regulation and sleep quality. For which I am deeply grateful.
Fascinating. Side tracked into more reading ....

Reactions: Brunneria

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I get the worst diarrhea and vomiting from the supplements. I will try the oils - I had read they weren't absorbed as well as oral supplements, but I'd like to give it a try since it has worked for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the worst diarrhea and vomiting from the supplements. I will try the oils - I had read they weren't absorbed as well as oral supplements, but I'd like to give it a try since it has worked for you.

my suggestion would be to buy the best Mag oil you can find - which basically means the most expensive.
Some of the cheap ones are a waste of time.

I started off with one brand, got good results, switched to another (Ancient Minerals), and got excellent results.
then i decided to economise and went for Holland&Barratts, followed by another cheap one - and my insomnia came back.
Took me months to realise that not all Mag Oils are equal.
since I have been liberally using the Ancient Minerals again, I am sleeping like a babe. Again. :D

Though I must admit that the oily feel on the skin is not a highlight of my day!

Reactions: NaijaChick

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my suggestion would be to buy the best Mag oil you can find - which basically means the most expensive.
Some of the cheap ones are a waste of time.

I started off with one brand, got good results, switched to another (Ancient Minerals), and got excellent results.
then i decided to economise and went for Holland&Barratts, followed by another cheap one - and my insomnia came back.
Took me months to realise that not all Mag Oils are equal.
since I have been liberally using the Ancient Minerals again, I am sleeping like a babe. Again. :D

Though I must admit that the oily feel on the skin is not a highlight of my day!
So do you apply it every evening? And on your arms only, or also on your legs? And it looks like I can buy a spray, a lotion, or a gel - any recommendations?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think since i meet the criteria for being deficient (living in the 21st century and being type 1 who supplements with vit D and enjoys plenty of cheese) I will dig out my magnesium oil and start a new health habit.
The article is comprehensive and worth a read. Thanks!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So do you apply it every evening? And on your arms only, or also on your legs?

The instructions say that for the brand i use, 6 sprays = One quarter of the RDA, if applied to skin and left damp on the skin for 20 mins while it absorbs. After that, you can shower it off.

My malabsorption is significant, and I had a significant deficiency to combat, and now want to maintain healthy levels.
So I started off with 30+ sprays daily, and now I use less, between 20 and 30 sprays on arms and legs.

I am very lucky that I have never experienced redness, burning/tingling, but some people do. It is apparently uncomfortable, but also a reassuring sign that your skin is soaking up the much needed magnesium.

In the early days I wanted max absorption and slept with it on, but that became unbearably uncomfortable during the summer heat.

Sorry for the brief derailment, @Cocosilk. Will butt out now :D

Reactions: Cocosilk

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The instructions say that for the brand i use, 6 sprays = One quarter of the RDA, if applied to skin and left damp on the skin for 20 mins while it absorbs. After that, you can shower it off.

My malabsorption is significant, and I had a significant deficiency to combat, and now want to maintain healthy levels.
So I started off with 30+ sprays daily, and now I use less, between 20 and 30 sprays on arms and legs.

I am very lucky that I have never experienced redness, burning/tingling, but some people do. It is apparently uncomfortable, but also a reassuring sign that your skin is soaking up the much needed magnesium.

In the early days I wanted max absorption and slept with it on, but that became unbearably uncomfortable during the summer heat.

Thank you for the details! I really appreciate it. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know much about bathing in magnesium salts and absorbing it via the skin that way?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: HSSS

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

How is magnesium oil dosed? Do you get a tablespoon and rub that on the skin and know that you are getting a certain quantity of magnesium per spoon?

Sounds like it's absorbed well that way. I'd never thought of using an oil as a supplement. Thanks for the idea!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I wouldn't call this a derailment. You are answering questions I haven't even thought to ask yet about magnesium oil. I'm learning something here :D

Reactions: jpscloud