Magnesium

Dipsy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A less known fact is that insulin also stores magnesium. But if your cells become resistant to insulin, you can't store magnesium so you lose it through urination.

Intracellular magnesium relaxes muscles. What happens when you can't store magnesium because the cell is resistant? You lose magnesium and your blood vessels constrict.

This causes an increase in blood pressure and a reduction in energy since intracellular magnesium is required for all energy producing reactions that take place in the cell.

But most importantly, magnesium is also necessary for the action of insulin and the manufacture of insulin. When you raise your insulin, you lose magnesium, and the cells become even more insulin resistant. Blood vessels constrict and glucose and insulin can't get to the tissues, which makes them more insulin resistant, so the insulin levels go up and you lose more magnesium. This is the vicious cycle that begins even before you were born.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've lifted the above off the web. I found it interesting. I'm not too worried about my levels of magnesium, because I use epson salts in my bath instead of bubbles etc. (Since the skin absorbs chemicals, I figure it might as well be something beneficial instead of a chemical mix of stuff.)Anyway, you can buy epson salts in bulk from most pharmasists if you ask them to order them in. There is a site about them here: http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/health_why_it_works.htm
It leaves the skin soft and lovely too!

Anyway, I thought I would share what I've found, as I've not spotted any mention of magnesium here.

sugar

Thanks for that Dipsy. I had never heard of that before. I like your response to it too! (Shuffles off to buy some Epsom Salts!) Maybe, like the Vit B1 thing, even if the claim is unfounded, the cure isn't going to hurt. I am massive amounts of insulin, so I think I must be very insulin resistant. I have been diabetic for 30 years now, so anything that can help with this is always appreciated.

Thanks again!

Dipsy

Something else which is an easy way to get magnesium is by switching from rock salt to sea salt for food and cooking. It has trace amounts of a number of minerals in it, including magnesium and calcium.

JOJO

Hi.

Why do our doctors not give us this information, if they think that vit B1 would help then we should try it.
When I last saw my consultant six months ago he just said that my blood sugar was too low but don't worry see you in another six months??

Jo

martinbuchan

Deficiency of Magnesium does not cause mild symptoms. A broad healthy diet will provide enough of all vitamins/nutrients.

You do not need a doctor to tell to you have a broad healthy diet and everything in moderation.

Marty B

JOJO

I would not go and see a doctor to get advice on diet etc.
I just feel like some of us do not get much help or advice thats all.
Have seen my consultant twice since I was diagnosed a year ago. When my bm was between 18 and 24 he said don't worry I am sure it will come down with a bit of rest etc ??

Jo