Magnets and insulin pumps

Kamawan

Hi all

I'm on the T:Slim X2 pump with the Dexcom G6 (absolute game-changer when the two are linked successfully, haven't had a severe night hypo ever since), one problem with the pump is that the clip is terrible. It's about as sturdy and elastic as a large paperclip. It never recovers it's original shape and it inevitably snaps far too early in it's life. Unlike Medtronic, T:Slim (represented by air liquide in Europe) won't provide replacement clips, which I found poor.

After YouTube recommendation I bought a Nite Ize HipClip to stick to the back of the pump case, the clip was in a different league from the OEM clip, quality was amazing, but the sponge adhesive was clearly not designed for frequent use and constant body heat, it 'melted' in a month and fell off. Amazon replaced it but the same thing happened again.

I was considering sticking a neodymium magnet to the back of the pump case, putting the clip on my belt and just pulling the pump away from the magnet when I need to use it, then pop it back on, effortless. Then I realised a neodymium magnet would probably mess with the pump. Would a normal magnet provide grip without harming insulin delivery? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Kamawan

I had the same problem with the tslim clip, very poor design. When I rang them, they said they'd provide a replacement which was stronger, and sent me a t:holster one, despite saying on the phone it wouldn't be that one. It's on their website - makingdiabeteseasier.com. I think it was about £26 to buy. Sorry technology preventing me providing the link.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Kamawan I would urge you to speak to Tandem first to check this can be safely done with a magnet, personally I wouldn't consider putting one anywhere near my pump without calling to check this can be safely done, also could compromise the integrity of the casing if you caught the pump too so approach this idea with caution, personally I wear a slim pump belt so kept tucked away around my waist which works fine for sleep too.