Type 2 Making bread

Jean from Stoke on Trent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can anyone advise me I want to start making my own bread but unsure what type of flour to buy as they all seem to contain sugar, any advice will be welcome. Thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a search for low carb bread recipes I think there may be some in our low carb section of the forum, but Google will certainly find you some.

You're not really going to be able to make "conventional" bread because of the high carb content in normal fours, but there are nut flours (e.g. coconut, peanut, almond, sesame seed) that can be used instead. Sukrin sell a very low carb bread mix, which is quite expensive though; but they also have a number of baking recipes on their UK website which use this mix as a basis. THis might give you some ideas, but be aware that not all of them may be suitable for diabetics

Robbity

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Robbie what was the book you suggested I got in my post sometime ago cannot find the post I am afraid

Jean from Stoke on Trent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a search for low carb bread recipes I think there may be some in our low carb section of the forum, but Google will certainly find you some.

You're not really going to be able to make "conventional" bread because of the high carb content in normal fours, but there are nut flours (e.g. coconut, peanut, almond, sesame seed) that can be used instead. Sukrin sell a very low carb bread mix, which is quite expensive though; but they also have a number of baking recipes on their UK website which use this mix as a basis. THis might give you some ideas, but be aware that not all of them may be suitable for diabetics

Robbity

Many thanks

P

paula.nolan42

Hello, I make my own bread. It's an Irish brown bread made with buttermilk, not a yeast based bread. My recipe makes 2 loaves. After putting the recipe into an app to calculate the calories, it works out as 80 per slice. While it has carbs, it's high in fibre being wholewheat. I limit my intake (I don't eat all of it straight from the oven ) and it's great with soup or hummus or salads.

Reactions: 5 people

Jean from Stoke on Trent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I make my own bread. It's an Irish brown bread made with buttermilk, not a yeast based bread. My recipe makes 2 loaves. After putting the recipe into an app to calculate the calories, it works out as 80 per slice. While it has carbs, it's high in fibre being wholewheat. I limit my intake (I don't eat all of it straight from the oven ) and it's great with soup or hummus or salads.
Thank you

Reactions: 2 people