Malt extract

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best way to see the carbohydrate content of a food (and therefore understand how much it is likely to raise blood glucose), is to check it online.

this is what I found about malt extract:
https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Syrups,_malt_nutritional_value.html

the carb content of 76% makes it very likely to raise blood glucose significantly depending on portion size.

malt extract has a number of other nutrients in it that you may consider useful to you, but all those nutrients can be found elsewhere, in other foods.

Personally, I view malt extract along with sugar, honey, fruit sugar, dates, grapes, pomegranate syrup and glucose syrup - basically I avoid them since sugary foods drive my blood glucose up, unless they are in v small quantities buried in a carbohydrate free main meal.

depending on the control you have over your blood glucose, your type of diabetes. And your medication, you may make other choices.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be, try it and see

There is no right or wrong answer, diabetes is a VERY individual thing so where one might not tolerate something the next might be fine with it
xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a rule of thumb I'd aim for foods which are 10% carbohydrate or less... even better 5%.
Something like malt extract which is over 70% carb and 55% sugar is probably best avoided.
Whilst the "dose makes the poison" there are far nicer things to spend a carb allowance on...