Malted wheat flakes

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
My wifes busy in the kitchen, while I'm sat lazing around, she's baking me good things to eat. A question she has: Are these malted wheat flakes Ok to use, shes read conflicting things on the packet, carb counter book and the GI diet book. On the packet it says 72 carbs per 100g but it will be mixed with other stuff such as jumbo oats at 66 carbs per 100g. Thing is the books say malt is good for you as well as jumbo oats.

Any ideas?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Cameraman.
Look at the sugar content of the malted flakes. (I think it is about 7gms per 100). It is too high.
A recipe for low GI meusli :-

7oz large flake oats
3oz oat bran
3oz sliced almonds
6oz sunflower seeds
2tbsp wheat germ
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place all ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag and crush the mixture into coarse crumbs with a rolling pin. Give it a good shake to combine the mixture and then place into an airtight tin at room temperature..This makes 1lb and it will keep for one month.

You can put some meuller light yoghurt and skimmed milk and a few berries with it for your breakfast.
Regards, Catherine.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Shes just made me up about 3lbs similar to your recipe, decided to leave out the malted wheat flakes now and added wheat flakes, jumbo oats, oat bran, crushed halzlenuts, flaked almonds, goji berries(unsweetened) and a few other berries. I'll be adding skimmed milk and microwaving it before work to see how I go.

C

catherinecherub

Sounds gorgeous Cameraman,
Let us know how it tastes and what it does to your blood sugars.
Regards, Catherine.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I'm going to try it for breakfast in the morning, but will not be able to test after 2 hours as I'm taking a coach trip out and don't think the passengers will be too amused if I stop to test :lol: Might have to wait for next day off to re test :roll:

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
catherinecherub said:
Sounds gorgeous Cameraman,
Let us know how it tastes and what it does to your blood sugars.
Regards, Catherine.

It tasted better than the bought stuff and I managed a test too 5.6 before breakfast, two hours later 7.3