Man who reversed his diabetes in 11 days

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Many of you may have recently read the article relating to the man who reversed his diabetes in 11 days by sticking to 600 calories. The more i am reading about these stories, the more i feel encouraged. I have noticed though that most people that have reversed their diabetes have lost an enormous amount of weight (ie ususally 5 or 6 stones). I have lost a stone but have a very long way to go as i need to lose about 5 stones but am wondering whether to take it nice and steady and hopefully watch my BS levels decrease or just go full pelt and either do 2 days Fasting Diet each week to speed up the weight loss - what do others think?

A

Anonymous

carina62 said:
Many of you may have recently read the article relating to the man who reversed his diabetes in 11 days by sticking to 600 calories. The more i am reading about these stories, the more i feel encouraged. I have noticed though that most people that have reversed their diabetes have lost an enormous amount of weight (ie ususally 5 or 6 stones). I have lost a stone but have a very long way to go as i need to lose about 5 stones but am wondering whether to take it nice and steady and hopefully watch my BS levels decrease or just go full pelt and either do 2 days Fasting Diet each week to speed up the weight loss - what do others think?

If you use Twitter you can contact the man directly as @ricdoughty. He seems very willing to chat about his experience.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi
don't get me wrong losing 5 stone is good but I don't think is very good for you to lose it super fast, I lost 4 stone in 4 months and everyone kept telling me stories of people that did that and died soon after, they were only stories mind you I have no proof (and im still here) but, I "think" steady weight loss is healthier and apparently easier to maintain, im no expert though, id say "reverse" is kinda iffy I would prefer the word "control" but a word is just a word I suppose :) good luck

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the Newcastle Diet, and the definition of "reversal" is fasting levels of <6.0 and hba1c of <6.0 without medication, and not permanently normoglycaemic ie eating whatever you like and never going above normal blood sugar levels. The long term success of the diet depends on significant weight loss and keeping it off, assuming weight gain was a contributory factor in the development of diabetes. Ultimately, the Newcastle Diet is a crash diet with the usual caveats.

If you need to lose weight it probably won't matter how you lose it as it's about taking in fewer calories than you burn up, but in the long term you still need to work out a long term/permanent way of eating for health.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
janeecee said:
It was the Newcastle Diet, and the definition of "reversal" is fasting levels of <6.0 and hba1c of <6.0 without medication, and not permanently normoglycaemic ie eating whatever you like and never going above normal blood sugar levels. The long term success of the diet depends on significant weight loss and keeping it off, assuming weight gain was a contributory factor in the development of diabetes. Ultimately, the Newcastle Diet is a crash diet with the usual caveats.

technically I've achieved those figures myself following a LCHF diet. But there's absolutely no way I'd consider myself to have reversed or cured my diabetes. I can't just walk into a pizza place and eat a pizza without seeing my sugars going sky high.

norfolknan

I controlled my diabetes with diet alone for over three years and I know someone who did it for 10 years, but surely it is a progressive disease and cannot be reversed only controlled. How can he say he has completely rid himself of diabetes in 11 days, and what happens when he eats "normal" food again.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
My db nurse noticed my db easing after I had lost about 2 stones. She started to reduce my meds to suit. After I had lost over 5 stones (is 5 the magic number?) I no longer needed meds for the db or cholesterol, and I could also give up a few bp pills too. From 10 pills per day to 2 in less than 2 years by following the WeightWatchers diet. I liked my diet, I enjoyed it because it was just ordinary foods, nothing faddy about it! It wasn't even low carb. I still eat the same foods now, with a bit of naughty thrown in! These naughties don't cause any effects to me physically, and 2 hours later my blood is still ok. A meal with nearly 100g of carbs hardly bothers me now. (I don't eat like that all the time, I'm a good boy I am)

I don't agree with fad or quirky diets. It might be a good way of getting a fast result, but you will have to eat normally one day, it might as well be from day one. September will see my first anniversary free of the need for meds. Does anyone know what my practice will do after this date? Will I still be given 4 tests per year, or maybe it will be reduced to 1 or stopped altogether.

C

catherinecherub

Time will tell if the 11 day diet has worked.
If the headline had been 11 years on and still diabetes free then it would be more dramatic and plausible IMHO.
I have been a Type 2 diabetic for 11 years and have been in remission after the first few months of management. That does not mean I am cured, never will be. I can eat an occasional treat with no marked rise in blood sugars but I know my limitations as regard to suitable foods.

A

Anonymous

lrw60 said:
My db nurse noticed my db easing after I had lost about 2 stones. She started to reduce my meds to suit. After I had lost over 5 stones (is 5 the magic number?) I no longer needed meds for the db or cholesterol, and I could also give up a few bp pills too. From 10 pills per day to 2 in less than 2 years by following the WeightWatchers diet. I liked my diet, I enjoyed it because it was just ordinary foods, nothing faddy about it! It wasn't even low carb. I still eat the same foods now, with a bit of naughty thrown in! These naughties don't cause any effects to me physically, and 2 hours later my blood is still ok. A meal with nearly 100g of carbs hardly bothers me now. (I don't eat like that all the time, I'm a good boy I am)

I don't agree with fad or quirky diets. It might be a good way of getting a fast result, but you will have to eat normally one day, it might as well be from day one. September will see my first anniversary free of the need for meds. Does anyone know what my practice will do after this date? Will I still be given 4 tests per year, or maybe it will be reduced to 1 or stopped altogether.

Probably the most heartwarming news I've read here for a long time! After being 'officially knighted' as diabetes resolved (I'm reserving judgement on that!), my next appointment is 12 months. I can still get free tests strips etc. although that may be an oversight. You should get a review in 12 months (or is that in September?), I would have thought if for no other reason than to ensure you are still on track. Also, maybe ask if you still get 'free' diabetes-related prescriptions in case you feel like the odd test now and again (or maybe don't remind them to cancel it!). :twisted:

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
gezzathorpe said:
lrw60 said:

Probably the most heartwarming news I've read here for a long time! After being 'officially knighted' as diabetes resolved (I'm reserving judgement on that!), my next appointment is 12 months. I can still get free tests strips etc. although that may be an oversight. You should get a review in 12 months (or is that in September?), I would have thought if for no other reason than to ensure you are still on track. Also, maybe ask if you still get 'free' diabetes-related prescriptions in case you feel like the odd test now and again (or maybe don't remind them to cancel it!). :twisted:

September will be my first year as free from the need to take diabetes medication. When I was given the all clear last year my db nurse was a bit blown away. She and the doctors knew that this could happen to type2s, but I think I was the first it had happened to. Come this September I will have so much more information to hand thanks to this site that I feel I can ask better questions of her. She was fantastic as my db nurse so I look forward to having a chat.

I was lucky enough to be given a meter and strips so I am now testing now and then, but I will have to do it properly if it is to mean anything. What I do know is that even when I enjoy a treat it doesn't come back to bite me, and I have found that I am not into binge eating anymore. Even as a type2 on many meds I would eat a whole pack of biscuits on a bad day. Thats at least 300g of carbs on top of breakfast and any meal I had room for. That DID come back to bite me! I don't eat like that now but I don't know why. In fact, Iv'e only had 3 very small biscuits with a cup of coffee in the past few months. (Not enough to kick start my bikkie addiction!).

mommydearest

Hi,
I have been on the Cambridge Weight Loss program for 15 weeks, after 2 weeks on the diet my blood sugar levels went from 10.6 mols to 4.9. I have lost 4 stone, and need to go back to the db nurse in September to be taken of my meds if the readings are still as low. I have never felt so well, full of energy and it has really helped my chronic fatigue syndrome. I have had my blood pressure checked, cholesterol checked, and my bloods, all lower than they ever been. My diabetic nurse told me not o be diabetic I needed to be lower than 53 and I came in at 35, she told me to keep doing what ever I was doing. I appreciate this diet is not for everyone but it has worked for me and I love it, I will say the first 4 days are not easy, but once you get through them it's plain sailing. I would definitely recommend it.xx

swickliffe7

Does anyone know how to reverse type 2 db if you don't need to lose any weight. I don't really want to go on a diet because I'm already on the thin side. I have tried many different supplements that seem to help some. I take metformin but I use a topical
cream form so it won't mess with my stomach. I really want to try and reverse my db can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Sue

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
low carb high fat diet will do the trick. To maintain weight, you just up the amount of fat in the diet until you are stable.

A

Anonymous

Paul_c said:
low carb high fat diet will do the trick. To maintain weight, you just up the amount of fat in the diet until you are stable.

You mean a low carb/high fat diet will reverse diabetes. Is this what you do and when was your diabetes reversed?

A

Anonymous

swickliffe7 said:
Does anyone know how to reverse type 2 db if you don't need to lose any weight. I don't really want to go on a diet because I'm already on the thin side. I have tried many different supplements that seem to help some. I take metformin but I use a topical
cream form so it won't mess with my stomach. I really want to try and reverse my db can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Sue

I see you joined around 2:30 this morning. Try more sleep! Ha ha!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Paul but I cant agree that low carb high fat will reverse diabetes ,that is a sweeping statement and does not take into account what caused the DB in the first place and how bad it is .I agree that it will help lower BGs ,but i feel your statement may cause skinny DBs to lose heart if they are LCHF but ther eBGs are not lowering as much as they would like or as much as others have managed
CAROL

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carty said:
Sorry Paul but I cant agree that low carb high fat will reverse diabetes ,that is a sweeping statement and does not take into account what caused the DB in the first place and how bad it is .I agree that it will help lower BGs ,but i feel your statement may cause skinny DBs to lose heart if they are LCHF but ther eBGs are not lowering as much as they would like or as much as others have managed
CAROL

No I was caught out by a semantic trick... I control my diabetes by low-carb high-fat and will maintain my weight soon by increasing my fat intake when much closer to my target weight.

Glucose control is most important. Losing weight as a side result of LCHF is a bonus.

A

Anonymous

Paul_c said:
carty said:
CAROL

No I was caught out by a semantic trick... I control my diabetes by low-carb high-fat and will maintain my weight soon by increasing my fat intake when much closer to my target weight.

Glucose control is most important. Losing weight as a side result of LCHF is a bonus.

I don't think that people like Janeecee would regard weight loss as a bonus, since she has no spare weight to lose.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone mention my name? :lol:

Reverse just means well controlled and achieving near normal numbers without the need for medication, but like Carol says, what helps depends on other factors. Being prediabetic, there are some concerns about high fat as lipotoxicty, in the presence of glucotoxicity, reduces beta function. Regardless of what I eat, including meals without starchy carbs, I still have a certain degree of mild hyperglycaemia after 2 hours, and although below the threshold for complications, it is probably still sufficient to risk further beta cell loss. I don't want to adopt a high fat diet if it leads to lipotoxicty and makes matters worse.

And before someone jumps up and says "prove it", you've all got access to the internet and capable of doing you're own research. Email the authors of the studies to dispute it, rather than get confrontational with me.

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Someone mention my name? :lol:

Reverse just means well controlled and achieving near normal numbers without the need for medication, but like Carol says, what helps depends on other factors. Being prediabetic, there are some concerns about high fat as lipotoxicty, in the presence of glucotoxicity, reduces beta function. Regardless of what I eat, including meals without starchy carbs, I still have a certain degree of mild hyperglycaemia after 2 hours, and although below the threshold for complications, it is probably still sufficient to risk further beta cell loss. I don't want to adopt a high fat diet if it leads to lipotoxicty and makes matters worse.

And before someone jumps up and says "prove it", you've all got access to the internet and capable of doing you're own research. Email the authors of the studies to dispute it, rather than get confrontational with me.

Sorry to use your name in vain! You have mentioned many times that your weight is not the issue with you and that you haven't got any fat left to burn. :D