Managing a day out

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I'm only 7 months into T1D. I'm wondering how to manage my day out today. It's with family so they'll adapt to me but I'm up having breakfast now. I need to leave home at 11am to catch a midday train. Meeting family in London at 1pm but have a meal booked for 3.30pm which obviously won't come straight away. Just need your thoughts on when/what to eat etc. Many thanks.

Reactions: Snapsy
D

Deleted Account

If you carb count and bolus for your mefls eat exactly as and when you would have a year ago.
On a normal insulin regime, there is no reason to change

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @4mum_ , hope you have a lovely day!

Ditto what @helensaramay has said. I would also recommend taking some snacks in your bag - something carby for if your blood sugar is dropping, and something not carby in case you're just hungry and don't want to be taking insulin for snacks (although of course that is always an option for a type 1). Test lots so you've got a clue which direction your blood sugar is heading.

Adrenaline and excitement and unfamiliarity with my environment often make me run a bit high.

When ordering food at a restaurant I usually wait until it's delivered before I decide how much insulin to have, as if you take it in advance and then the food takes forever to arrive it can present a problem.

But take each step as it comes, test regularly and enjoy yourself. And with practice it will all get easier. I know it does.

Hugs!

Love Snapsy
:)

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both of you. I think I would have roughly worked out my meal count but wait until serves to check portion. It's just the awkward hours of the rest of the day around 'mealtimes.
We visit our hometown of London a lot so I should be okay for the excitement of the day but then I never tire of it.