Managing both diabetes and gluten intolerance

Layla_type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I am a young person with both type 1 and coeliac. Having both of these really is a challenge and if you have both like me you will understand. Things such as going to a friends for tea, holidays and my personal nightmare the cost of food all play a part in every day life. For my family the money we get funded for diabetes mostly pays for the gluten free foods due to the high cost . I am grateful for having friends and friends parents who understand and cater for my conditions, however I have had quite a few experiences where people haven’t quite understood my conditions when I’ve gone over there house (such as providing non gluten free meals).
Often in these situations I am very torn between what to say or do. What do you guys or would you do in this situation?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forums. :) I would have a good talk with the host or hostess before the event and explain the situation, not asking them to plan the meal around my diet needs, but to alert them that I would not be eating anything I couldn't. I would take over some foods I could eat in case there was nothing on the menu I could tolerate. If I start getting the 'it can't hurt just this once' routine, I would say that it would and I wouldn't want to ruin the fun by having to be rushed to hospital (an exaggeration perhaps but true). I would enjoy the time spent together and let any lack of understanding roll off my back. It's about the company and not about the food.

Layla_type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forums. :) I would have a good talk with the host or hostess before the event and explain the situation, not asking them to plan the meal around my diet needs, but to alert them that I would not be eating anything I couldn't. I would take over some foods I could eat in case there was nothing on the menu I could tolerate. If I start getting the 'it can't hurt just this once' routine, I would say that it would and I wouldn't want to ruin the fun by having to be rushed to hospital (an exaggeration perhaps but true). I would enjoy the time spent together and let any lack of understanding roll off my back. It's about the company and not about the food.

Thanks so much sounds like a great way to avoid it! Will definitely be using this :)

Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 keto diet so even though I’m not allergic I don’t eat many of the foods at gatherings but one of the things I say is, wow that looks delicious but thank you i can’t as I have a nasty allergic reaction to ….

I sometimes message the host and ask if I can bring my own whatever. My neighbour did a pizza night the other week and just messaged her and said, I hope you won’t be offended but I can’t eat normal pizza, do you mind if I bring over my own? She was fine with that, I also made some dips and Edam tortilla chips for everyone and they disappeared pretty quickly.

Layla_type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m T2 keto diet so even though I’m not allergic I don’t eat many of the foods at gatherings but one of the things I say is, wow that looks delicious but thank you i can’t as I have a nasty allergic reaction to ….

I sometimes message the host and ask if I can bring my own whatever. My neighbour did a pizza night the other week and just messaged her and said, I hope you won’t be offended but I can’t eat normal pizza, do you mind if I bring over my own? She was fine with that, I also made some dips and Edam tortilla chips for everyone and they disappeared pretty quickly.

Thanks that’s a great idea!!

• Friendly
Reactions: lovinglife