Managing LCHF when not at home

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agreee, another downfall of the job is toilet breaks. Although one upside to COVID is that I now have longer breaks between lessons so I can use the toilet. I am dreadful at drinking enough though, I’m always thirsty but I find it hard to drink. Don’t think I’m as bad as I used to be but could be better
Can you make sure you top up well outside of work so at the very least you are not starting the day dehydrated and water yourself well as soon as you finish and have the opportunity to visit toilets.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
, I do get mad at diabetes, all this planning needed just to do a job away from home.
It becomes more normal the more you do it and the less you stress about it.
I tested a beef casserole mix, didn’t affect my sugars one bit. However over the next month I noticed I was really struggling with cravings and most of the time was giving in because I just couldn’t not eat sweets. Very much the way it was before I got diagnosed.
Did you read the ingredients list? Work out what the possible suspects were to avoid in future
So I eat to make sure I can drive safely.
Are you now on a medication that reduces glucose directly? If not there’s no need to eat to drive usually
Strangely I’m loosing a bit of weight not putting on.
Were you hungry before simply because you weren’t eating enough and slowing your metabolism as a result?
I’m trying to think of what I don’t like but I really can’t think of it, other than it just doesn’t do anything, whether I’m missing sweets or a sweetie taste I don’t know
maybe a few hours looking at low carb and keto websites might spark some enthusiasm for suitable meals/snacks.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @woollygal

I am another who doesn't particularly like most low carb food. some days that makes me really sad but those days are fewer and fewer.

At the moment I'm feeling a bit less good about it all- my workplace is small- less than 10 people. We have a Christmas party- attendance is pretty much mandatory and missing it would make me even more isolated at work-I'm the only one who didn't grow up in pour small town so already a misfit. I'm also older than all but 1 other by more than 10 years. I can't choose where we go for our party. This year is a dumpling place followed by cocktails. I love cocktails- more the sweet taste than the alcohol. There will be very little that I can eat and we have a bus both ways so I can't get there late or leave early. I will be there watching people eat and drink things I love. I've done it before and will again I'm sure but it really doesn't help. The little that I can eat will be things like steak- I don't like steak unless very very rare and then only very good quality- champagne tastes lol. Anyway I will endure it but I really do get the pain.

I also have never felt better on keto- I like the fact that I don't feel the hunger any more so that part of eating out is so much easier than when I was just trying to restrict calories to lose weight. I have lost a lot of weight but still waiting to feel that amazing energy etc. I don't feel worse so it's not a loss.

As most of the time it isn't upsetting me the way it used to I think it iOS sustainable for me. I am much more worries about cravings if I did start to increase the carbs as those physical cravings have gone completely.

Good luck