Marathon walk

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
70 years old with T2, no meds and on LCHF (50-60 grams carbs per day).

Training for my second marathon walk. First time round, about 5 months ago, did not give much thought to nutrition during walk, which created problems although did finish in 7:25 hours.

With LCHF in mind, would appreciate any advice on energy giving snacks during walk.

Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice speed for that walk!

I also do long distance walking (30 miles is my longest to date, but 15-20 is pretty regular) and find that if well hydrated and salt/electrolytes are maintained then I can do them water fasted, but I eat lower carb than you. Snacks that are easy to carry/eat and won’t melt are a good idea - Nuts? Beef jerky? That sort of thing.

Also be sure to take in enough water and add electrolytes if necessary. I use this brand, which is carb free: https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html

Reactions: EllieM

Beating-My-Betes

70 years old with T2, no meds and on LCHF (50-60 grams carbs per day).

Training for my second marathon walk. First time round, about 5 months ago, did not give much thought to nutrition during walk, which created problems although did finish in 7:25 hours.

With LCHF in mind, would appreciate any advice on energy giving snacks during walk.

Thanks

Great job, man! And what a great idea.

Just started exercising again (Bought a sports/gps watch. She's a hard taskmaster, intent on stopping me from keeping still), and it would be nice to have a goal to work towards. When's your walk planned for? Might be able to 'join' the effort, from a distance.