Marathonmona's 8 week 800 calorie diet

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I need to plan better; I've found some days I 'run out' of calories by teatime. Not good.
It is hard. I think the key is not to give up, even after a bad day...
Xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh yes, keep going. I think it gets easier as we get used to it. I know I'm nowhere near as hungry now as I was on days 1 and 2. :)

Reactions: marathonmona

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on 607 calories when I went to a BBQ.
I had:
1 burger, no bun
1 small sausage
2tbsp coleslaw
1tbsp fried onions
2 slices cheese
Half a glass of red wine as was driving

Not sure about cals but kept it low carb! Obv went way above calorie limit.
I may try a 24/36 hour fast tomorrow depending on how I feel in the morning.

Reactions: zand and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Go for it!! I'll be here cheering you on. :)

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This morning the scales were up to 15st 1lbs and FBG 6.7

I didn't think the small amount of food I had at the BBQ would do that but I suppose weighing daily will show these fluctuations...

I'm still debating whether to eat or not today

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Those fluctuations are depressing and are why I don't like weighing daily - are you noticing any difference in the way your clothes fit?

Reactions: ringi

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are @Chook but it keeps me accountable. I'm on a bit of a slippery slope if I don't. All in the mind eh...
I am! Got a pair of work trousers I was only able to do up lying down on the bed; when I'd get up, the button would nearly pop off. You get the picture . Anyway, they slip on quite easily now and only have to suck in a little bit lol. I'm hoping that by the time I go back to work on the 30th, I'll be able to wear them.
I've just had brunch: half a Lidl protein roll, two rashers grilled bacon and an egg.
I felt like I'd be obsessing about food all day if I didn't. Was delish too.
Onwards and upwards!

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 1 done
Weight is 15 st this morning for a weight loss of 6 lbs
FBG 6.6
1 inch off my waist
Have a lovely day everyone

X

Reactions: Peerless67

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, Week 1 done for me, too

This week I have 'lost' 9lbs (most of which, I think was water because my weight last Monday was after a bit of a boozy weekend)
Monday 14th August - my BMI was 34.7
Monday 21st August - my BMI is 33.1

An inch and a half off my waist (like I said, last Monday I was a bit puffed with water retention)

FBGs as follows:

14.08.17 - 8.6
15.08.17 - 7.3
16.08.17 - 7.4
17.08.17 - 6.8
18.08.17 - 6.2
19.08.17 - 6.0
20.08.17 - 5.2
21.08.17 - 4.9 - (today)

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@marathonmona

Well done Mona - we are both doing okay!!! Its lovely to have someone else at the same point as me on this diet. :)

I just checked back through my BG diary and the last time I had a 4.9 was back in March 2016 - when I was on my second ND attempt.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, Week 1 done for me, too

This week I have 'lost' 9lbs (most of which, I think was water because my weight last Monday was after a bit of a boozy weekend)
Monday 14th August - my BMI was 34.7
Monday 21st August - my BMI is 33.1

An inch and a half off my waist (like I said, last Monday I was a bit puffed with water retention)

FBGs as follows:

14.08.17 - 8.6
15.08.17 - 7.3
16.08.17 - 7.4
17.08.17 - 6.8
18.08.17 - 6.2
19.08.17 - 6.0
20.08.17 - 5.2
21.08.17 - 4.9 - (today)

Wow, this is brilliant!
I agree, really nice to be on the journey with you
We started at the same FBG too; mine's fluctuated a bit after the first 3 days... but still good levels considering...
Have you managed 800 calories every day?
All the best for week 2
I'm still home this week but next week I'm back in school. I have to devise some coping techniques as stress takes over and I tend to get bogged down by work and find it hard to resist food and treats in particular.

Mona
X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I have pretty much stuck with the 800 except for Saturday and Sunday when, on top of my 800 I had a (small) glass of red wine with dinner.

I'm not looking forward to week 2 because its normally towards the end of week 2 that my enthusiasm fades away - especially when my FBG gets in to normal numbers but this time I feel more motivated - very much helped by having you doing it as well x :)

It might be easier when you get back to school as there will be lots of distractions - sometimes I think being at home with food available all the time doesn't make this sort of extreme calorie restriction very easy.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll try better to stick with 800 this week. I just find it's not quite enough food for me but then that's the whole point ha.
Yes, enthusiasm fading, know all about that. Thinking I can eyeball calories, 'one won't hurt' and all that. Need to keep on track.
I need to look at this as an old-fashioned 'cure' prescribed by a professor.

X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, Michael Mosley says something similar in his book about looking on it as more of a medical prescribed intervention rather than just a weight loss diet (maybe not those exact words).

I meant to say, my BG dropped to 3.4 yesterday before Sunay Dinner - luckily it was the test just as I was about to start eating so it didn't stay down there for long. Phew!

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 46 in October, so I'm hoping to gift myself a good weight loss
Wow! 3.4. Did you feel any different?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This time around I'm being a lot more careful with spreading my 800 calories through the day and I'm doing a lot more menu planning in advance both of which have helped.

I was looking back through food diaries / BG diaries and found that the two previous times I've attempted ND have been during cooler months (first time was a January, second time was a March) when veg wasn't growing in the garden and was expensive in the shops and I always feel the need to eat more in cooler months. So maybe it being August will make it easier.... or maybe not - I shall see this week.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm 46 in October, so I'm hoping to gift myself a good weight loss
Wow! 3.4. Did you feel any different?

No, that was the strange thing, I felt fine - thats why I was surprised.

What a lovely birthday present to yourself. :)

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Strange! Although they do say the level you could start feeling dodgy differs from person to person...
I might sit down in the evening and plan for the next day. This may avoid any 'I'm hungry and need to eat whatever right now' situations...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that weight can change by a few pounds just because of how much water is in your body, a little salt, or a change in diet can affect this. About half the weight loss in the first week is likely to be just water, this will be regained as soon as the diet changes, but is not an issue.

We care about how much fat we have not our weight, but yet, have to use weight as a tracking tool....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strange! Although they do say the level you could start feeling dodgy differs from person to person...
I might sit down in the evening and plan for the next day. This may avoid any 'I'm hungry and need to eat whatever right now' situations...

I also think it depends on how quickly your BG falls - mine had just been drifting slowly downwards all day yesterday from a fairly low 5.2 start and a low carb breakfast followed by no lunch - whereas, in the past I've felt really rubbish at the same level but having brought it down from higher levels very quickly by lots of strenuous exercise (those were the days..... long gone now).