Mashed potato

markb

When I was diagnosed with T2 a few months ago I was told that I could have potatoes but not mashed potato. Does anyone know why mashed is so bad?

Grazer

Mashing it releases the starch. This means it can be digested quicker which resides your blood glucose more quickly. Jacket potatos are similarly bad. Even boiled old potatos are too starchy. A few boiled new potatos aren't so bad, if you have old pots then roast is better as the fat slows down the absorption

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Regarding potatos...I do find my Homemade chips in small quantity are not bad at all-I peel and chop them ready in advance and keep them soaked in a big bowl of cold salted water for several hours and before cooking i keep emptying the water and rinsing under the tap and you'd be amazed how much milky looking starch goes down the sink drainer!! with a lot of the starch gone-I find that they spike me FAR less than any frozen chip that I've ever deep fried!

Reactions: lorraine95

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yep the only way I eat spuds nowadays is roast and chips. I can eat 8 medium sized chips the last time I tried but of course others may manage more.

Mashed potatoes is the devils food. It should have one of those radiation warning signs put on the plate by law. :lol:

I do a similar kind of trick with bread. I had real problems with even half a slice of Burgen but can now eat a WHOLE slice as long as its as toast. I'll score the toast with a knife and try and get it to soak up as much butter as I can without getting silly. Similar principle as roast potatoes in my mind, the fat slows things up. On my toast I have either a decent splodge of ASDA sugar free peanut butter or some low carb pate, TESCO Ardennes is the lowest we've found. In that form AND if I eat it as an evening snack it doesn't touch my BG's at all.

Pleased tonight I have discovered the joys of legumes in the form of lentils in my curry are back on the menu.

Paul1976

Dislikes
I am partial to a bit of peanut Butter on a toasted slice of burgen-Especially with some grated red leicester on top,then grilled until it bubbles!Yummie!!

hallii

If you like chips may I suggest celariac chips and butternut squash chips?

I think celariac is "out of season" at the moment but there is plenty of butternut squash around.

H

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also love(d) mashed potato but I now have celeriac and swede mash with plenty of pepper and butter.Not quite the same but nearly
CAROL

Paul1976

Dislikes
I agree there!!Swede mash with plenty of pepper and real butter! Tasty and filling! :wink:

Unbeliever

I am not recommending them because I haven't tested he effect on my bs but I understand that "crushed " potatoes might be an alternative for some. I have only had crushed new potatoes but as I can only tolerate a spoonful of any sort potato withou spikig it is irrelevant .
An American friend recommends aubergine chips . Has anyone tried those?

Defren

hallii said:
If you like chips may I suggest celariac chips and butternut squash chips?

I think celariac is "out of season" at the moment but there is plenty of butternut squash around.

H

Sainsbury's have celeriac instore now. I had celeriac chips tonight for the very first time, and they are lovely. I actually like them better than potato chips. I peeled the celeriac then chopped half of it up into chip shapes. I then boiled until quite soft and put them into smoking hot oil in the oven. Turned them half time and voila. Really nice. There was a lot of the oil remaining in the tray, and I only used a little, so not too high in fat, but enough to do the job.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I will blame my recent dodgy mood and my eye-talian heritage on my decision to try and make home made spinach gnocchi tonight..but I don't think a plea of temporary insanity will convince anyone. :oops:

So - seasoned mashed spud, spinach and flour. *Ahem*. :oops: :oops: :oops: two hours later...12.2!!

12.2 yes, it's off my list of "I can manage this" foods and shall darken my plate no more.