1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mass gain/protein shake

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Courtz, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Courtz

Courtz · Newbie

I recently bought a serious mass weight gain/protein shake, however this is the first time I've bought this since I have been diagnosed with type 1( 2years ago) I would just like an insight on what I'm best doing when it comes to taking my shake pre/post workouts?? Any advice will be appreciated!!

Thanks

2. Joe C

Joe C Type 1 · Member

With T1D it only makes sense to take these post-workout. Most people take them post-workout anyways because that's the purpose, to help rebuild the muscle when you're done stressing it. But with T1D it especially makes sense to take it after because you need to heavily dose for a mass gainer and you don't want to risk overdosing and then having a nasty hypo that will cancel the workout. So take it after.

However, I will add that the bigger concern is actually underdosing for these monsters. I hope you are carb counting because if you don't get it right, these things will send your glucose out the roof, and I mean to the moon. You will spend the rest of the day trying to bring it down. Avoid this by carb counting. Even if you don't want to regularly carb count, figure out your ratios anyways and apply it every time you use a mass gainer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook