Mate is 14yr old diabetic cat

Mate44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mate is recently diagnosed as diabetic he is 14 yrs old ,his treatment is a special canned food, he is not eating as much as the vet would like, and is losing more weight than he should, the vet suggests treats in form of vegetables but not carrots, can anyone tell me should these be cooked or raw, Thankyou

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, Mate. You sound like me, except you're a bit older in cat terms. Someone will be along in a while to help you and I'll be watching with interest since we used to have 4 cats, the eldest 19. All the best and purrs from me & Mrs DeeJay

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,
I have a 14 yrs old cat with hyperthyroidism. I found the best advice on a facebook group. You migt want to try there for help and advice. If the food your vet has suggested is a Hills Prescription diet, then in my personal opinion, you would be better off finding a high meat content food for your cat. If you look at the popular brands in the supermarket, they tend to average at 4% meat content!!!! Terrible. I've found Iams, Hi-Life and Natures Menu have much higher meat content, from about 28% to 60 or 70% I think. It is more expensive than the 2 main brands but much cheaper than prescribed food from the vets.

As I have discovered with my own health and doctors and nurses, I have come to research and question what the professionals think is best for me. I then learnt to question what my vet thought was best for my cat. I now have a new vet who is much more understanding, more interested in my cats health and less about how much they can charge me for each visit.

I would also ask what medication or follow up tests they are offering. If your cats bloods are not getting better that could also be a reason for the continued weight loss. Can you test the cats blood yourself? Not sure if cats would let you. I know I've seen a vet nurse giving a test monitor like i use to someone for their dog. Think my cat would never let me near him again if I did that.

Also, the advice given to new diabetics is to cut out as many carbs as possible. Look at the contents of your cats food, increase meat content, even in any biscuits you give him. Ive found applaws cat biscuits have a high meat content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am no vet, but would expect that a whole meat diet would be better than the veg routes for a cat .. In nature I don't think cats eat carrots (but I could be wrong).. Is your cat overweight .. And is the vet saying what type it is 1or2 ?

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone know which breeds of cat or dog can be
more prone to diabetes ?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
the vet suggests treats in form of vegetables but not carrots,

Just like those lovely veggies cats dig up and eat in the wild...

That sounds like complete gibberish to me; cats are carnivores wouldn't it be much much better for a diabetic cat to be eating a raw meat diet? I understand many people give their cats and dogs raw meat from various sources instead of the grain filled junk that lines the shelves of supermarkets.

Best

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to hear of your poor cat having diabetes. I would of thought cooked veg mixed in with his food, as this sounds like a well balanced diet.

He is also classed as a senior cat or elderly, so maybe a bit of pampering, and something he really likes. I hope it works out and he starts to feel so much better soon. ps I have two cats, one is 15 and the other is 5.

Best wishes RRB :cat:

Mate44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many Thanks for all your kind words and support, the veggies were suggested as a treat as Mate is still anchoring after his crunchy treats from myself which were only given in small quantities I must add, and he did live on dry food which he ate whenever he wanted it, and he loved them, he was a little overweight but is losing weight quicker than was hoped by the vet, as he is taking time getting used to the tinned diabetic food, and I feel he would much rather have a good crunch, which is now not possible, we will persevere with the prescribed food for the time being as all this is new to us, but thanks for your input.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mate44 I have had diabetic pets before and the prescription diet is not your only option (although it's all the vets understand!). I bet the current food tastes like poo and that's why he's not eating it. Cats don't need grain - in fact the vets in America have known this for a long time. Grains shorten a cats life. Grain free pet food is slowly making its way over to the UK and this would suit your cat perfectly. Have a look at this brand which I feed my 3

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine

That should bring up Animonda Carny which is a pure meat food. This will help steady your cats blood sugars. Feeding small amounts 2-3 times a day will help too. Also get a high quality fish oil to supplement as well as add calories. I use Nordic Naturals pet.