Maximum supplies for going to US

BCunningham9

Has anyone gone to the US for a long period of time and been able to get enough supplies to last them on their visit?

I have the opportunity to work in America for 9 months but the gp is only prepared to give me 3 months worth of supplies leaving me efficiently short. I don't particularly fancy managing my diabetes in the US for 6 months either due to inevitably ending up bankrupt.

Thanks,
Haydn

diggerhtfc

Don't know the answer to your question but your employer may have some sort of responsibility to make sure you get healthcare access while you're away because you'll need blood tests etc. anyway? So *I guess* they'll have a health plan for you. I am totally guessing though. Alternatively can you get someone to collect your prescription and send it on to you?

BCunningham9

I have looked at both. My employer says it needs to be covered through my travel insurance and although they cover diabetes, it's only for emergencies and they won't cover any supplies I will need over there.

I also don't think sending insulin from the UK to the US gets past the customs in the US.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First your GP is right, he should not give you a prescription for more than 3 months.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1755.aspx?C ... goryID=105

Second, if it were me, I would make very sure that travel insurance would cover me.#
Medical care in the US is expensive. I think that your employer has a moral responsibility to make sure that you are covered for all eventualities but it may be that he doesn't have a legal one in the US.(??) A quick google shows temporary health insurance is possible for temp work in the US but I suspect it will be very expensive for someone with T1. (not so much a problem if you are working for a large company who are able to obtain economies of scale but somehow I suspect this type of company would automatically insure you)

BCunningham9

Interesting! I'm sure the hospital said 6 months! Surely the hospital could help out with supplies...obviously your gp is responsible for the prescriptions but the hospital must be able to contribute.

It isn't a massive company, it's a soccer school based in New Jersey so it's likely that it couldn't simply afford to insure my diabetes.

I can't even find any insurance companies to quote me a hefty price, just seems none of them have any intention of having a t1 on their books.

magelizh

Have you looked at the cost of insulins and accessories if you join Diabetes America or whatever the equivalent is called. I once needed to buy test strips in Sydney au. The difference from buying them over the counter was cost $29 au to $2 au if I had been a member of diabetes Australia.

BCunningham9

I've tried finding such a website but I don't think it would help reduce costs. Whether if I went to a Walgreens store in the US I could get a discount I don't know...