Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I finally won! Doctor has agreed to put a note on my file that I am not to be asked/nagged/bullied about statins ever again. It took some doing but I convinced him it was an informed choice. The relief I feel is immeasurable.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a similar notation on my records. It mainly works, but not always. My nurse and my GP (who have been with me since diagnosis) know better than to nag. I did however get a phone call from a different nurse who had been asked to ring me about my cholesterol level and offer me statins by a different GP who happened to be on duty when my test results arrived at the surgery. I think the nurse was embarrassed because she had seen the notation. The doctor clearly hadn't.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Noted. If I receive such a call I shall direct the caller to my GPs note and refuse to debate the issue. As you know the statin nagging was part of the reason I missed my last but one review. In future I shall go unheeded by anxiety.

I messaged my eldest at work with the news 'I Am Immortal (there can be only one!)'. ;)

Reactions: OrsonKartt and HSSS

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm considerably more blunt when it comes to statins .... from the get go, I take control of that conversation

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dn sounded embarrassed wh n she said "now, I know you will say no, but I have to ask you if you would consider statins". I simply said no thank you and that was the end of it. I felt sure she was under instructions and there was no point in biting her head off.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm considerably more blunt when it comes to statins .... from the get go, I take control of that conversation

My problem is sometimes a lack of assertion, I try to be as amenable as I can but pushed against a wall I can then be seen as unreasonable. People are sometimes under the impression that anyone over the age of fifty couldn't possibly understand what is best for them especially when it comes to medicine or tech.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My dn sounded embarrassed wh n she said "now, I know you will say no, but I have to ask you if you would consider statins". I simply said no thank you and that was the end of it. I felt sure she was under instructions and there was no point in biting her head off.

When I told the nurse that I had stopped taking the statin after one week her whole demeanour changed and she virtually called me a liar and said that "statins do not cause pain". I was stunned at this, I told her that I live with chronic pain and I recognise it when I experience a new type/area of pain. I have not seen that nurse since.

Reactions: jackiebee

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good on you @Guzzler. Perhaps there should be common marker for those not wanting The Statin Discussion such as
SNAT = Stop Nagging About Statins, and then in the true spirit of acronyms, SND (Statin Nagging Doctor), SNN for the nurse,
NSP No Statins Please and of course, in observance of Fawlty Towers, DMTS - Don't Mention The Statins.

Reactions: Rustytypin

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good on you @Guzzler. Perhaps there should be common marker for those not wanting The Statin Discussion such as
SNAT = Stop Nagging About Statins, and then in the true spirit of acronyms, SND (Statin Nagging Doctor), SNN for the nurse,
NSP No Statins Please and of course, in observance of Fawlty Towers, DMTS - Don't Mention The Statins.

I may just have the last one tattooed across my forehead ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I told the nurse that I had stopped taking the statin after one week her whole demeanour changed and she virtually called me a liar and said that "statins do not cause pain". I was stunned at this, I told her that I live with chronic pain and I recognise it when I experience a new type/area of pain. I have not seen that nurse since.
I’m looking forward to seeing whether my DN will try to sell me statins at my next review as my GP has annotated my notes as ‘statin intolerant’ - hopefully she won’t but you never know.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn’t it be a shame if there was a shortage of statins after Brexit!!!