1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meaning of carbohydrate "of which sugars"

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by ofwhichsugars, Jan 24, 2019.

1. slikwipman

slikwipman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apologies for the Yank description but I am a northern monkey

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had to google but I now know that rusk is beschuit. They are very good with butter and mature cheese. Or with strawberries!
    In the early days of the Netherlands it consisted of 7 provinces (still part of our politics are organised by the, by now, 12 provinces.), led by some duke or other overlord. They came together for decisions that concerned all provinces as the Republic of the 7 United Netherlands.
    The province where everything happened, and where the bigger, richer cities were (thanks to the VOC and WIC with their trade in the East- and West-Indies during the 1700's or 'Golden Century') was the province of Holland, which is by now devided in North-Holland and South-Holland. We have our capital, Amsterdam, in North-Holland and our Government in The Hague, in South-Holland. Both Hollands have a lot of cities and it's where everything happens.
    Ask someone from those provinces if they are fine with the name Holland for their country, and they probably are.
    Then there are the more rural provinces and you might get a different answer. There is often a feeling that 'those city people from Holland haven't a clue about a big part of their country.

So go with The Netherlands and you're always safe!

3. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thanks, @Antje77 .

Now I'm wondering if William of Orange was one of those dukes. :)

And I must correct my "Dutch Rusks" because I got that wrong. It actually says "Holland Rusk." "Product of Holland." Delicious with peanut butter and I imagine it would also be good with melted butter too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Kind of. I skipped a couple of details, so by the time we got to Willem van Oranje we went with 'stadhouders' instead of dukes. And yes, he was a stadhouder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Cool! Thanks. This is the first time I've ever seen his name in its original form.

I know that sounds really naive. But it's nice to see nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Groundgripper

Groundgripper Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are a Southern Bell, Ma`am, we have very dear family friends in Georgia, and they are the most delightful people, Southerners are Jes` So warm and welcomin`, and I do so miss fresh baked Biscuit with Bacon and maple syrup.:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jomary

Jomary Type 2 · Active Member

Don’t complicate life look at carb content at 100 ml. If sugar content is below 12 then it’s fine, anything above that no no.been type 2 for 12 years last two on one metformin will be 76 next week, it works for me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I just tried something called a toaster biscuit for breakfast this morning. It came frozen in a box of 8. Surprisingly light and tasty for a frozen biscuit.

9g fat (6g saturated)
    0 cholesterol
    440mg sodium :(
    18g carbs
    0 fiber
    1g sugar
    3g protein

Not great but better numbers than other frozen biscuits at this store. I added some cheese and nuked it for a few seconds. I am experimenting with breakfast foods as having lowered my BG from 7.5 to 5.something since diagnosis last spring, the fats I was eating to replace carbs apparently raised my LDL cholesterol.

I wish there were a cholesterol meter I could get to test each morning when I test FBG. Seems the best things to eat are fish and nuts. I bet bears and squirrels have very healthy numbers when they see their GPs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

This is a confusing post. You start with “look at carbs” then switch to sugars less than 12. Carbs overall are MORE important than just sugars. And unless it’s a very small portion 12% is a lot for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Were you still losing weight when the cholesterol was checked last? A short term rise isn’t unusual but it mostly settles once weightloss settles and usually is lower.

13. greenhowt

greenhowt Type 2 · Newbie

The NHS training course 'Desmond' for diabetes advise that the 'of which sugars' value is pretty much irrelevant, it is the total carb value to be concerned with. If your on the low carb diet then the lower the better, however there is often a trade off, lower carb often means high 'fat' content

14. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Nowt wrong with fat as long as it is a healthy fat as opposed to seed oil.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Oh, dear, look out for what you will read about Desmond from other people here! It is NOT well thought of here.

16. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for posting that. That is good to hear. I wasn't still losing weight like I had been last summer. I lost 25 pounds then; can't seem to lose any more, been stuck at this weight for months now. :(

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook