Med/insulin change needed? - headaches!

kellibabi

Hi,

Currently on Humalog 25mix, Metformin, Sitagliptin + various other meds (non diabetes related).

For the past 3 years or so, I've been getting severe headaches 1 - 1 and a half hours after eating (regardless of what I eat).
Sometimes the pain is so bad (head pounds, neck & shoulder muscles tense up completely) I end up in tears & just want to curl up & give in. The pain will sometimes go away if I eat something, sometimes will only go away with strong painkillers. Waking 2/3 times per night with the same problem so not sleeping properly either.

As you can imagine, this does my weight NO favours.
Every time I go to my GP with this, all I get told is to lose weight & exercise - easy for her to say - she should try exercising
while in agony & exhausted through lack of sleep. Have tried to explain what exactly happens (see above explanation), but just get dismissed as if I'm pathetic & lazy.

Has anyone had any similar problem? Does anyone think a change of insulin type may help?
I'm really at the end of my tether now & my life is just work - home - work - home & no other life at all due to pain/tiredness.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry to hear that you are not getting listened to by your GP. Would you be prepared to change to another doctor?
In the meantime I suggest you keep a diary of your symptoms so the doctor can see what is happening to you.

AnneBoyce

`I was put on insulin after being admitted to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis - very unpleasant! So was the insulin. They tried three different types including Humulog, and asked to be taken off it due to - headaches!! Almost continual headaches. I've now come off insulin altogether (on glicazide and metformin now) and the headaches have disappeared. I would suggest you ask for an appointment with your local diabetic nurse at the hospital and have a good talk with him/her. GPs are great, but they don't have the in-depth knowledge needed to treat all the side effects of diabetes drugs.