Media Outburst

hornplayer

:) s'ok mongoose, I've already played around in that lake!

I know the BBC do like feed back though. I don't think the numbers matter, it's the strength of feeling. Not news worthy, I know, but interesting to their researchers maybe.

I think one of the reasons that so few people have commented on this thread is the, how shall I put it, the tone of some of the posts. It's sometimes very difficult to stick your head above the parapet when you know, without a doubt, what'll happen to it! :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I know what you mean. I had a good idea I would get my head bounced when I posted and have dealt with the BB on occasions.

It would be nice if one part of the beeb talked to any of the other bits instead of being asked the same questions again and again...

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am feeling a bit sensitive about diabetes at the moment. I was diagnosed at just age 37 with type 2. Yes I was overweight, but active, didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't eat high sat.fat diet (just low fat and "healthy carbs" which I now know is stuffed with sugar). I took my medication, lost the weight. I sure as hell didn't reverse my diabetes, it just keeps getting worse and worse. I will probably be starting insulin in the next few weeks. I know I have to continue to be positive and work at it to maintain my health. When I heard that report and Prof Craig Currie's comment, I swing from massive guilt to really really mad and spiralled into a big downer about my diabetes. I never write complaints normally, but this was mine to the bbc:

You do not eat your way to type 2 diabetes. It is a genetically inherited disease FACT! Yes weight/lifestyle can play a role in disease development particularly the age of disease onset. And yes, you can improve sugar control by losing excess weight. The healthy diet message is important, but is not the whole storey.
Every time I open BBC news, there is some new report inferring that if you are fat, you will get diabetes and have your feet amputated. Prof Craig Currie's comment calling the British a nation of "fat lazy porkers" is not helpful. His insinuation that type 2 diabetics bring the disease upon themselves and the MP's comment that we should have to pay for our illnesses is offensive. Have you any idea the despair and hopeless comments like these cause. Dealing with either type of diabetes is a lifelong battle fought on a daily basis; it requires a great deal of positive thought, heaping guilt and shame upon the type 2 diabetics is dangerous. It also is proving to be very divisive between type 1 and 2 communities; type 1 diabetics don't want to be associated with fat lazy porkers like me. Type 1 diabetes is caused by an autoimmune event (no blame attached). Type 2 diabetes is caused by underlying genetic factors; no blame should be attached. Until a reporting is based upon fact rather than this fattist prejudice, it seems like type 2 diabetics are to be the new lepers of society. Please see http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes. Ps. Many type 2s have never been fat!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good old Google ! There is always a link there somewhere that will back up any argument either way ! I'm sure I could find a link somewhere that states a study has discovered that black is actually made up of white molecules ! Seek and ye shall find lol.......

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
mo1905 said:
Good old Google ! There is always a link there somewhere that will back up any argument either way ! I'm sure I could find a link somewhere that states a study has discovered that black is actually made up of white molecules ! Seek and ye shall find lol.......

Exactly ;)

Mr Happy

Flakey. He didn't say all diabetics are fat or that all fat people become diabetic. He said there is an increase in diabetes and we are becoming a nation of lazy porkers. He is correct!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mr Happy said:
Flakey. He didn't say all diabetics are fat or that all fat people become diabetic. He said there is an increase in diabetes and we are becoming a nation of lazy porkers. He is correct!

Agreed ! Unfortunately !

kingofthetill

Yep I am quite portly well very, I am now slowly reducing my girth, people see me as a overweight diabetic and I AM this was not always me, up until September 2007 I had a full time job run my kids around, had an allotment did all the right things for a chap of 45 I didnt look to bad at all, did the gym to keep in shape and had a 2nd job as a male kiss o gram and stripper, got home on a Sunday afternoon after a day on my allotment sat down and had a stroke, funny that I did all the right things and still got kicked, well after a miss diagnosis and not spoted until 2 weeks on one of the GPs who new me and saw me canceled his appointement and got me into hospital and from then on I was type 2.

Due to my inactivity I have piled on pounds and I cry about it, the stroke has left me dizzy all the time, unbalanced biter and twisted
until I discovered Tai Chi the exercises are doing me good I am coping better even with my family and job (not the same one I had for nearly 20 years) I grabbed the first job in a supermarket 24 hours a week, but I am still ****** with so called medical people.

Sorry to rant but my god I feel better

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I have stuck my head above the parapet!
All I am trying to say is that is there is far more to the development of type 2 than just obesity and this blame game is really not helpful. Coincidentally, the rise in type 2 prevalence is not just related to the rise in obesity, yes it is involved no question, just not the whole picture. Have you not heard the phrase, there are lies, **** lies and statistics. I could probably link the rise in diabetes to the increase in solar flares with statistics manipulation. Statistics is not infalable (I know, I do this for a living!). The current obesity focus of news reporting regarding type 2, is obscurring the whole picture. Undoubtledly the development of type 2 is multifactoral, just look at the range of projects diabetes Uk is currently funding. Diabetes development is very complex; the more you learn, the more you realise how little is know. I am shocked by the number of people on this forum who subscribe to the blame culture. I am sorry, but this attitude just does not fit scientifically or compassionately.

Mr Happy

Flakey, I too am a statistician by trade and can certainly confirm there are many statistics generated just to 'prove' a theory as opposed to gaining knowledge. The correlation between weight and diabetes appears relatively clear but is it also the mass production of food, genetics, food types etc that have an underlying influence?

Again though, one could argue that people are obviously putting themselves at increased risk and also categorically state that we are becoming a nation of fat porkers. Once more, I don't see what he said as wrong but confess he may not have told the whole story. Isn't this often the modern media though, shock tactics, snippets of information? Perhaps partly to do with the nation being too lazy to absorb information ;-)

As for the 'blame game' the majority of us know whether we have done something wrong or not. Personally, as a T1 I was probably a ticking time bomb but I am pretty sure 3 years of stupid drinking at University far from helped. Whether or not one day the government are thinking of using this 'blame' to reduce support in the future is another matter and a very tricky debate. We pay tax on food, cigs and alcohol which funds the nhs and the cleaning of MPs moats. As has also been said, should sportsmen (and women) pay for their injuries?