Type 1 Medical alert necklace/bracelet

I love travelling and I am forever forgetting to wear my medical alert necklace because it's a big ugly dog tag looking thing.
Does anyone know any websites that I could buy a nice subtle bracelet or necklace??
Alternatively I was thinking about getting a tattoo similar to this one but someone pointed out that not everyone speaks English! Any suggestions ?? :)

204791c12f5703e817e3ff5d0fabab85.jpg

Reactions: Juicyj

wilcl4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love travelling and I am forever forgetting to wear my medical alert necklace because it's a big ugly dog tag looking thing.
Does anyone know any websites that I could buy a nice subtle bracelet or necklace??
Alternatively I was thinking about getting a tattoo similar to this one but someone pointed out that not everyone speaks English! Any suggestions ?? :)

75f079164ec4c33d4eecab72cba42713.jpg

I got this one

Reactions: Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0199.JPG Hi @Zoe-MaeStevens . It's true not everyone does speak English. Surely a necklace or bracelet with have English script on it, so ultimately you could find yourself in a similar position.
There is however an internationally recognised medical symbol.
It's the Rod of Asclepius and any google search will give you images.
There is also an image, the Staff of Hermes which although not technically a medical emergency symbol is commonly used, especially in USA.
As above I have a tattoo, whether or not it will save me one day remains to be seen.
Good luck.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a sterling silver Medic Alert bracelet which I keep on all the time. It's subtle and not unattractive.

It was a gift some years ago. Prior to that I had their stainless steel one for many years. I pay the subscription every year and it gives me peace of mind.

http://www.medicalert.org.uk/buy-jewellery/store/product/24/silver-classic-bracelet

They now do a massive range of different styles.

Here's a picture of mine being worn (I'm the one on the left)... my diabetes is very much part of me, so I had no qualms about 'showing' it on the occasion pictured.

image.jpeg

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have a look on Etsy, there are a variety of bracelets and necklaces where the seller will engrave medical information. I got this silver bangle from there. It has the medical symbol on the outside and my specific info engraved inside. (the symbol is clearer in real life than in the picture!)
DSC_0002.JPG

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is on warfarin and has a pace-maker and metallic aortic valve and he wears one of the SOS lockets around his neck with all his medical information in it - he's had it for 10 years and despite wearing it constantly, even in the shower, the paper inside is as dry as a bone.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive also got a tattoo but before that I used "wow bands" cheap and cheerful and does the job!

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Snapsy! I never used to wear any ID until my brother yelled at me after a friend of his had a close call. I had to go on a bit of a mission to find something I liked! Love your photo by the way, it's beautiful, I hope you have it framed somewhere.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Snapsy! I never used to wear any ID until my brother yelled at me after a friend of his had a close call. I had to go on a bit of a mission to find something I liked! Love your photo by the way, it's beautiful, I hope you have it framed somewhere.
I figure if I don't have my bracelet on, that'll be the day I needed to! It's very comfy -'and what I like about it is that all my ICE contact details and medication and doctors' details are accessible from it. It has 'INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETES' as the wording, as it predates the type 1 nomenclature, which I find dates me rather!

The snap was taken in pretty much the only 'quiet' moment together we had on our wedding day! And it must be the only one where there isn't a glass in my hand......... ;)

:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Snapsy . Nomenclature!!!!!!!!!!! Had to google that and I'm still not entirely sure I'm any the wiser.:bag::bag:
Have to agree that it's a very nice picture of yourself and a lucky Mr Snapsy.
Question..... what's the guy in the background playing?
Where was "Disco Dave and his illuminated turn table"
It's nice to have a bit of class on the forum :):):):):)

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I hate the look of them too. When diagnosed in May my children bought me a selection of relevant items including the rubber charity style wristband pink
20170924_091751.jpg
20170924_091725.jpg
. One side it says Insulin Dependant the other Alert Type 1 Diabetes.

Reactions: therower

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hello. I know how annoying it is finding the right necklace/ bracelet. Those SOS ones, they either break on me or they start turning my skin green! This website, www.lifesavingengraving.co.uk, have some really nice Medical IDs. Hope this helps. :)