Type 1 Medical assessment

Telekon

Good evening,
I’m due to have a occupational health medical assessment next week which my employer has requested. I am currently off sick at the moment recovering from a operation on my Charcot foot and I am due to return to work mid March with the reassurance I will make a full recovery from the operation.
I’m just wondering if any other members have had to go down this route and what to expect?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening,
I’m due to have a occupational health medical assessment next week which my employer has requested. I am currently off sick at the moment recovering from a operation on my Charcot foot and I am due to return to work mid March with the reassurance I will make a full recovery from the operation.
I’m just wondering if any other members have had to go down this route and what to expect?

Hi Telekom, I can't say I've been down the route you are travelling, but I would think these assessments should be quite individualised - relating to both the op you've had done and you, bearing in mind what your duties will be at work.

I imagine, in the first instances, they will want to ensure that you, they and anyone you work with will be safe. For example, if you work on the 10th floor of an office building, how would you evacuate in the event of a fire?

I guess the assessment is probably the time to raise if you consider you need any adjustments to be made to your environment, even for the shorter term - such as working with your foot on a footstool if that were necessary, or if you have to walk a few paces every hour, to keep things moving, as examples.

Of course these examples could be waaaaay off you or what you need to do, but just examples of the sort of things that may come up.

Good luck on getting back into the workplace. Try to give yourself an easy few days outside working hours too. I'm fortunate not to have needed much sick leave throughout my working life, but never fail to be amazed by just how tired I can be when I go back, after even a few days away - new routines and all that.

Fingers crossed for you.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Depends who you work for. Hopefully just a chat about whether you need any adjustments, if you are ready to come back full-time, how they will arrange for a catch up on anything you have missed.

You should have written information about sick leave, return to work, etc. as part of your work conditions, via HR if you have an HR department.

I had experience of these both as the employee and in my role as a senior manager in the UK Civil Service - before and after the imposition of the hostile environment because we took 'too much' sick leave.
I always tried to take a softer approach, as did most managers away from the top level.