medical exemption card

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find this hard to believe but I can not ever remember filling in a form for a medical exemption card . I have never paid for my prescriptions and have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years . I am now 53 . When did these cards start and how was I supposed to be informed of them . I am asking because I have just had a letter from NHS prescription charges penalty notice demanding £96.60 for an incorrect claim . Which was my insulin . Thanks .

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I filled in a form which my GP signed to verify that I was entitled to an exemption due to treatment for an under active thyroid. They sent it off and my card arrived a week later and my exemption is valid for 5years. Perhaps when you had the insulin etc in the past you did not need to produce a card - I cannot remember my mother needing to and she was on medication for diabetes and thyroid. However common sense dictates that a prescription for insulin means that you are diabetic and therefore entitled to an exemption!!

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently got mine. Saves me a bundle every month. Didn't know there was exemption on thyroid meds...I have to check that out. Nice one.

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive rang them but they were too busy . Said they would ring back within 24 hours . I cant believe that it has never been mentioned to me at all in 25 years . All I was ever told was that I would get my prescription free . Which I have until now.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You might find this hard to believe but I can not ever remember filling in a form for a medical exemption card . I have never paid for my prescriptions and have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years . I am now 53 . When did these cards start and how was I supposed to be informed of them . I am asking because I have just had a letter from NHS prescription charges penalty notice demanding £96.60 for an incorrect claim . Which was my insulin . Thanks .
The exemption has been in for many years. I've been on insulin for almost 50 years and have always been exempt from paying and even back when I was 18 I had to fill in an exemption form. You are very lucky that you have not been prosecuted for signing a false declaration or been asked to back pay for 25 years. You can get the forms from your GP or a Chemist might have them.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I recently got mine. Saves me a bundle every month. Didn't know there was exemption on thyroid meds...I have to check that out. Nice one.
All your medication is free. :)

D

Deleted member 83869

I was diagnosed in 2008 and I only got my card the other day just ask at your gp reception for a form

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The exemption has been in for many years. I've been on insulin for almost 50 years and have always been exempt from paying and even back when I was 18 I had to fill in an exemption form. You are very lucky that you have not been prosecuted for signing a false declaration or been asked to back pay for 25 years.

I havent been filling in a false declaration I am allowed free prescriptions . If I wasnt told about it how could I have got one. I probably will end up in court though cause I aint paying no £96.60 fine.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I havent been filling in a false declaration I am allowed free prescriptions . If I wasnt told about it how could I have got one. I probably will end up in court though cause I aint paying no £96.60 fine.
You signed the prescription form to say you had an exemption certificate. You haven't got one so it's a false declaration. :(

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You signed the prescription form to say you had an exemption certificate. You haven't got one so it's a false declaration. :(

Like that will stand up in court. Was I suppose to guess that I required one . Its not like im not allowed free prescriptions and I have been claiming them. I have had 2 to 3 yearly check ups for 25 years and it dosent get mentioned . Didnt know you honour.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like that will stand up in court. Was I suppose to guess that I required one . Its not like im not allowed free prescriptions and I have been claiming them. I have had 2 to 3 yearly check ups for 25 years and it dosent get mentioned . Didnt know you honour.
Ignorance is no excuse and wont stand up.
At least you now know to read everything before you sign it.
I don't have any check ups but have always known about the exemption certificate.
Hopefully you will be let off, eat humble pie and go sort out your exemption certificate.

Rupes64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same thing happened to me today. I got an exemption certificate 32 years ago when I was diagnosed; it got lost not long after and since then I've moved surgery maybe five times and not once was I informed I needed one nor did anyone enquire if it was still valid (I thought once issued, always valid).

Today I received a £24.15 charge and a £100 fine! I, like you, will take it all the way to the court which will cost a **** site more than the £124.15 they want from me. I am obviously entitled to free prescriptions because I'm an insulin dependent T1 diabetic, the fact that I didn't have the form filled in is simply a way of justifying the cost of the bureaucrats administering the "system", it's disgusting. My poor old mother is 78, she too is entitled to free prescriptions because of her age, however, she also suffers from the first stages of dementia, how is she supposed to a. remember if she has filled in a form or b. know in the first place that she needs to?

I might write to Watchdog and the papers; I'd rather spend the £124.15 advertising how unfair it is.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Same thing happened to me today. I got an exemption certificate 32 years ago when I was diagnosed; it got lost not long after and since then I've moved surgery maybe five times and not once was I informed I needed one nor did anyone enquire if it was still valid (I thought once issued, always valid).

Today I received a £24.15 charge and a £100 fine! I, like you, will take it all the way to the court which will cost a **** site more than the £124.15 they want from me. I am obviously entitled to free prescriptions because I'm an insulin dependent T1 diabetic, the fact that I didn't have the form filled in is simply a way of justifying the cost of the bureaucrats administering the "system", it's disgusting. My poor old mother is 78, she too is entitled to free prescriptions because of her age, however, she also suffers from the first stages of dementia, how is she supposed to a. remember if she has filled in a form or b. know in the first place that she needs to?

I might write to Watchdog and the papers; I'd rather spend the £124.15 advertising how unfair it is.

Again the onus is on you to fill in the form and apply for the exemption.
Your Mother though is by age exempt the exemption is on her prescription ....... D.O.B.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As is mine, Lantus insulin, Novorapid insulin.
Slight difference though you need an exemption cert, which you do not have. Your mother doesn't need a certificate. That is the difference in the bods eyes who run the exemption dept.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't told I needed an exemption card either; I read it on this forum and promptly got one. I was dx in April and was only told that my scripts were now all free.

ducati2242

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now received my free prescriptions card . Still haven't paid the fine but I have told them I wont be paying and they say they have marked my file to say that . So . We will see what happens next .

Rupes64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been trying to get through to my surgery all day to 'discuss' this; first I was told they were closed until 2:30 and then I was told my Dr's left and his secretary is not in until tomorrow! That said, it's been a great surgery all the rest of the time. :). Like you Mr Ducati, I've already told them I'm not paying; let's see what happens. Thanks for input everyone.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ya know, why don't they just hand you the form when you are diagnosed? Seems it would be much simpler. "You have diabetes. Here's your info: make an appointment with the DN, sign up for classes and here's your medical exemption form."

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ya know, why don't they just hand you the form when you are diagnosed? Seems it would be much simpler. "You have diabetes. Here's your info: make an appointment with the DN, sign up for classes and here's your medical exemption form."

Yes, but that would seem to be too simple.................:rolleyes:

RRB