Medical Exemption - Prescriptions Charge

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine 14 years ago was credit card sized card, the next 2 were plastic, my last one is still just in date but I’m of the age I no longer pay for scripts anyway

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've still got to apply for them and they are plastic and the same as a credit card just no strip like you get along the back but my first one was made of paper and that you were scared incase it ripped or you put a fold in it where you couldn't see what you needed to see but the credit card ones are better because they are just the right size and have the right amount of details for what is needed as proof now

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also have to apply for a medical exemption certificate and get a small card. I once received a penalty notice as mine had expired and I was waiting for a new one to turn up

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to wonder if you’re T1 why you have to renew. Not like T1 is evergoing to go away
It has been know for T1s to be wrongly diagnosed, and are indeed T2. There have been several threads on the forum on this.

The pedant in me also has to say there is a ginagerous chance that with a pancreas transplant (often done alongside a kidney) T 1 does indeed go away. In full disclosure, the patient then becomes post-transplant and would be exempt for a different reason.

Nit-picking, I know, but I'm so good at it.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get mine a few months before it's due to go out of date that way I am always covered and I won't get a penalty notice or fined for anything that I am not able to have but I always check mine every month as most of the time I don't need to use it but it's always on me for when I get the odd pharmacy who try to go by the book and get you but I never let them as I'm covered

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
It has been know for T1s to be wrongly diagnosed, and are indeed T2. There have been several threads on the forum on this.

The pedant in me also has to say there is a ginagerous chance that with a pancreas transplant (often done alongside a kidney) T 1 does indeed go away. In full disclosure, the patient then becomes post-transplant and would be exempt for a different reason.

Nit-picking, I know, but I'm so good at it.
I’m not worried about nit picking I don’t have any hair hehehe

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all,
I have been type 1 for 46 years.
In all this time I have never paid for a prescription from the NHS regarding prescribed medicine.
I have now received a ' Penalty Charge Notice ' ( PCN) from NHS business services authority for claiming free NHS prescriptions as they have no record of me having a ' Medical Exemption Certificate '...?
To the best of my knowledge I have never had a physical certificate in all my adult life, I have just simply ticked the box on the reverse of the prescription, as my understanding is that all Type 1s get free prescriptions ?
I have attempted to challenge the notice but the reply seems automated.
Any help/ understanding would be appreciated.
Thanks
I got fined about five years ago years ago for the same thing. Been type one for 41 years.
I then applied for and received a physical card but haven't been asked for it since, and have of course now lost it. Am trusting that once it approaches its expiry date I'll receive a reminder...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got fined about five years ago years ago for the same thing. Been type one for 41 years.
I then applied for and received a physical card but haven't been asked for it since, and have of course now lost it. Am trusting that once it approaches its expiry date I'll receive a reminder...
I think you do, it’s my recollection that I got a reminder about 3 months before, my hubby who has medical exemption since he was 22 for a different condition used to get reminders - both of us are over 60 now so no longer need them

Reactions: Herbie1972

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why don't you use the Medical Exemption Certificate Checker and make a note when it is due for renewal.
That way you are not relying on someone else's bureaucracy to save you from future fines.

If your last fine was 5 years ago, you are probably due a renewal pretty soon.

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why don't you use the Medical Exemption Certificate Checker and make a note when it is due for renewal.
That way you are not relying on someone else's bureaucracy to save you from future fines.

If your last fine was 5 years ago, you are probably due a renewal pretty soon.
Expires in November 2024 – thanks again for the link!

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if I was you I'd apply for it now that way you are still covered and you get the form and give it to the doctor and wait and then when your new one comes you can do whatever you like with the old one

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From my recollection you can only re apply once you get the reminder - from what I remember you can’t apply for your next one until there is only 3 months left. A medical exemption cert covers a lot of conditions. A fair few that may not need life time exemption so I can’t see them issuing it earlier. Once you get it of course it’s valid for 5 years whether you need it or not.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not what I am able to do because I am able to apply for my next one within 6 months before my next one is due even when you get the remainder it states that if you have already applied for your card you can disregard this letter and use the new card as at will as I have all the letters that I get from them and each one states that apart from the one with your new card attached to it as that one says here is your new card attached and your able to use it straight away