Medical Id - Bracelet/necklace

Howie1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering if most people wear either a bracelet or necklace that contains info about their diagnosis?
I'm recently diagnosed and I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where to buy them from and what info it would be advisable to have on them (other than type 1 diabetic). For example - does it need to state insulin dependant and the way it is treated (injections/pump)?
Thanks in advance!

Hi TomRose , a really good idea to have some form of medical ID on you at all times . I have a dog tag which states clearly - Insulin Dependant Diabetic . Really needed for times when you hit an unplanned (!) Hypo and lose the capacity for sensible speech ... thankfully only happened a couple of times to me in 20years , but helps to point people to so they know you are not drunk and actually need some food or medical attention.
Like someone’s else just said - I now have a pump which will make things obvious for medical staff ..., but I still also carry the dog tag from the experience that I get ‘Speech challenged ‘ hypos .
I got dog tag from army surplus and had it engraved at Timpsons .

D

Deleted member 308541

I forgot to mention in my post at #9 that all Quoll medical ID products such as pendants, bracelets, cards etc. are a one off payment and never need renewing like other services do..

Ian Stonelake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right Wing types
I have a Medical Alert bracelet which reads Type 1 diabetes Insulin Dependent. I'm not sure how important it is in an emergency to know whether you're using a pump or are on injections. The crucial thing is to alert people to what could be an emergency issue. Having had disabling hypoglycemic episodes on flights before it has been very useful in alerting paramedics to what the issue is.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering if most people wear either a bracelet or necklace that contains info about their diagnosis?
I'm recently diagnosed and I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where to buy them from and what info it would be advisable to have on them (other than type 1 diabetic). For example - does it need to state insulin dependant and the way it is treated (injections/pump)?
Thanks in advance!
I started wearing a chain bracelet when I got heart failure, but it annoyed me. I now have a flat mesh steel band with lots of data on it plus and I’d info card In my handbag, but I now also have a pacemaker/defibrelkator, Chronic severe kidney disease, and I'm a T2 on Insulin,. My GP works in n emergency so she helped me with what to enter. Whatever you get it has to be comfortable. I paid about $60 AU.

smwsmw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I even have "Do Not Resuscitate" in mine.

Clever stuff those QR codes for what info they can contain.
I think you’re in Australia but in UK most definitely professionals would still attempt CPR, whatever you had written on a bracelet, tattooed on your body or whatever! The only thing that would stop them would be a written DNAR order, either in community or in hospital. If this is your wish, you should discuss with your GP or hospital consultant. (Unless, of course, it’s different in Aus!) Good luck!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In Australia we have Medicalert in bracelet or wrist and form. I or my doctor fill out the application (they prefer doctor to fill out the medical section but do accept the patient's version also), Choose from stainless steel, plated silver or gold with conditions and 24/7 phone number for more details on the metal disc.. My wrist band details also specify that I have MyHealthRecord listing on the Aussie national database.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've got one with an insert that reads P*ss off and leave me alone I'm just having a bad day.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
I bought a bracelet on Amazon and wear it almost everywhere, especially if exercising or dancing. Have had hypo episodes which scared me, so I always assume one day I'll be out cold on the floor of some grocery store. ;)Would be interesting to know how long it would take paramedics to figure out one was a T1 diabetic.

Reactions: kitedoc