1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medical review to see if i can stay in my current employment.

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by delmcp, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, I understand the ones relating to driving. Those make sense.

It's just that the services seem to be the only "business" that limit the height at which you can work if you have T1. I've spent paid time up many ladders and on scaffolding painting barns, roofs, windows, etc. It feels like a rather arbitrary limitation!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. delmcp

delmcp Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tim again I agree that the limitation is arbitrary, here is a direct quote from the Manual.

Employment Limitations.
    a. Recruit: Recruits with a history of IFG, IGT or DM are permanently unfit service.
    b. Serving Personnel with suspected IFG, IGT or DM:

(1) Investigation. Whilst investigations are ongoing, groundcrew are ‘Unfit service outside base areas’; additional limitations may be necessary depending on occupation. Those with IFG or IGT can expect to be awarded an unrestricted JMES. Those with DM will only be considered for an unrestricted JMES after a period of 6 months.

(2) Treatment with Diet, Exercise and Weight Loss. Groundcrew who respond to lifestyle changes may be awarded an unrestricted JMES.

(3) Treatment with Antidiabetic Drugs:
    i. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors (acarbose), biguanides (metformin) and thiazolidinediones (pioglitazone) do not increase the risk of hypoglycaemia and are compatible with an unrestricted JMES.
    ii. Glucagon-like peptide-1 analogs (exenatide and liraglutide) and dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitors (saxagliptin, sitagliptin, and vildagliptin) do not appear to cause hypoglycaemia; however, in view of the limited data available for these new agents, groundcrew are permanently ‘Unfit service outside base areas’.
    iii Insulin, sulphonylureas and meglitinides can all cause hypoglycaemia. Groundcrew are unfit service outside base areas, unfit for work at heights (>2m), unfit working with unguarded machinery, unfit to drive LGV/PCV/lift trucks, unfit for work in confined spaces and unfit handling live arms; additional limitations may be necessary depending on occupation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

he could, but then he would have to kill us lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Given that T1s are now considered fit for flying commercial airliners, I'd think that giving Diabetes UK something to do in advocating changes to the military manual might not be a bad idea!

• Like Like x 1
  5. delmcp

delmcp Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tim the Medical officer that reviewed myself said that he was fighting some of the Limitations for T1s and that they are currently under review. So in the future my limitations may well reduce.

6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

7. Marcus870

Marcus870 Type 1 · Newbie

Glad to seee you are still in @delmcp. I am still MND temp, so interested to see your review and limitations. As I discussed before I have been successfully promoted WO2 -1 this week. Moreover, and my mate has his LE commission approved. Best take my AP Confined spaces from me then!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook